HP3 glass plate

Discussion in 'Plate Cameras and Accessories' started by Schlapp, May 21, 2006.

1. Schlapp

Schlapp Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  2. Donald Qualls

Donald Qualls Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd say that was well given... :smile:

3. bosseb

bosseb Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Another photo from this package is just uploaded. Had to try how skin tones are treated by the old plates, and I'm happy with the result.

Thanks again, Andrea :smile:

4. gbenaim

gbenaim Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Hi, Bosseb

Took a look at your flickr alt stuff, really nice. Was curious how you would describe the difference in look between glass and film plates? I've never seen a glass plate print. Also, what's a carbon print? Can one adapt a regular 4x5 camera to use glass plates? What lens were the portraits and the hat shot with? Finaly, how do you make and coat your home-made glass plates? Thanks,

GB

5. bosseb

bosseb Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks,
    The main difference between these plates and ordinary film is mostly from age, e.g. the darker spots and the stains on my uploaded photos. Otherwise there's no big difference when the plates are panchromatic. For homemade plates or really old ones that are orthochromatic you get a quite different look caused by the plates being sensitive only to blue light. You can use any view camera for plates, it's just the holders that have to be different. I found mine on ebay.
    I've been using a Radionar 105 lens taken from a 6x9 folding Franka. Not the ultimate 4x5 lens, but I like the look it gives.
    When it comes to coating your own plates there's a good article on alternativephotography: http://www.alternativephotography.com/process_dryplate.html

You can read about carbon printing there too: http://www.alternativephotography.com/process_carbon.html

I hope this is to some help :smile: