HP5 in Pyrocat HD at 320

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by mexipike, Dec 11, 2007.

1. mexipike

mexipike Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I love the combo of HP5 in Pyrocat HD, I usually expose at 200 however I have a roll of 120 that I exposed at 320. Suggestions? Will it work or should I break out the HC110?

Thanks,
    John

2. lee

lee Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I would say go for it with Pyrocat HD 320 is not too much underexposure. Remember exposure controls the shadows and development controls the highlights. I believe the difference between ei 200 and ei 320 is about a 1/2 stop.

lee\c

3. pgomena

pgomena Member

You're 2/3 stop under. HC-110 would not be your best choice unless you've used it diluted as a compensating developer. You might try the Pyrocat HD as a stand or semi-stand developer (lots of threads on that in this section of the forum,) to try to bolster the shadows a bit and control the highlights. X-tol 1:1 or 1:2 might boost your film speed a bit, as would TFX-2 with reduced agitation. If you have any experience with Diafine, it might help as well.

Your results also depend on the lighting situation. If it was really contrasty, you're probably not going to get good shadow detail. If it was pretty soft lighting, you might pull it out.

Peter Gomena

4. mexipike

mexipike Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    The lighting was fairly soft. I'm down to the last of my XTOL bottle and I'm not sure if it's still good, but I'll probably just test that and use it if it's good. What's a good starting point for a semi-stand development with Pyrocat HD?

Thanks,
    John

5. mexipike

mexipike Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I guess nobody knows a good starting point for semi-stand with pyrocat HD and HP5 at 320. I guess it's off to the xtol. Thanks,

John

6. Jim Noel

Jim Noel Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Since my normal EI for sheet film HP5+ in Pyrocat HD is 400, I would stick with the PCat rather than trying unfamiliar developers.
    Jim

7. mexipike

mexipike Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    What's your time for 400 Jim? Thanks,

John

8. JLP

JLP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My semi stand/minimal agitation with HP5 at 320 is 18 minutes. Pyrocat MC 1+1+100 20C One minute initial agitation and then 10sec. spread evenly 3 times in the reamining time.

jan

9. Jim Noel

Jim Noel Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    For silver gelatin 1:2:100 - 72 degrees - 10 minutes

10. mexipike

mexipike Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Thank Jim and Jan, I'll give one of those a try.. I can't imagine the times would change much from MC to HD.

Thanks,
    John