HP5+.... plus Rodinal

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by bjorke, Nov 4, 2004.

1. bjorke

bjorke Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    ...so a wild animal grabbed me and forced me to buy a spool of 35mm HP5+ instead of Tri-X (actually, B&H was out of stock).

Anyone try this combo, before I burn too much of the film to be useful? My alternative is probably X-tol.

2. TPPhotog

TPPhotog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Strange you should mention that I use the HP5+/Rodinal combo at:

ISO200 1+50 at 20C for 8 mins
    ISO400 1+50 at 20C for 14 mins

Filled and inverted during the first 30 seconds and then one inversion every 30 seconds.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2004
  3. bjorke

bjorke Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sounds very close to my typical Tri-X time for 1+50. I don't think I've shot HP5 for years... we'll see! (Found a forgotten cache of 120 Neopan 400, about an hour ago, too. hmm)

4. titrisol

titrisol Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    look in my gallery, all the classic car pics are hp5+rodinal

5. modafoto

modafoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have shot quite a few rolls of HP5 and given them a bath in the holy Hot Rod.

It's a VERY NICE thing. I have used it for reportage with my Kodak Retinette IB.

The grain is SO delicate!

Morten

6. Poco

Poco Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ...and yet, I've read more threads warning against the HP5/rodinal combo as some kind of unholy spawn from hell. It's hard to say why this is, as sometimes it's the grain that's mentioned, sometimes the "tonality."

I've never had any problems with it.

7. Lee Shively

Lee Shively Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I shoot HP5+ as my main film. I haven't used Rodinal with it, however, only D76 1:3. My experience with HP5+ vs Tri-X is that Tri-X needs a little bit longer in the developer than HP5+. I'd knock a minute or so off the development time you use for Tri-X. Should be pretty close.

8. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Shot a roll of HP5+ 400ASA this morning, just developed it in Rodinal 1+50 @ 20c for 14 mins, agitated for first 30 secs the 10 secs per min. Early reports are looking promising!

Morten, out of curiosity what fixer do you use?

9. tbm

tbm Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Below is a scan I performed of a photo I shot of my cocker spaniel performing a number two (some humor for this Friday!!) with HP5+. The film was developed in Microdol-X 1:3 for 25 minutes at 68 degrees based on the recommendation on page 151 of Anchell and Troop's "The Film Developing Cookbook". The negative was exposed with my Leica R8 and 50mm Summicron lens. The original print is dazzlingly sharp with incredible definition in the dog's fur, the lawn, and the pot behind the dog. The out of focus background exhibits no true increased grain and is sensuously mellow in texture appearance. I highly recommend you try the aforementioned Microdol-X concoction for its compensating effect, for there is no highlight blocking and the tonality in the print is super!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2007
  10. VoidoidRamone

VoidoidRamone Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I love this combo, it's what I mainly use when shooting with my Holga. Assuming you aren't making giant enlargements, the grain isn't that bad when enlarging from 120 size. I think the tones are good also. -Grant

11. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This was taken mid-day today. It was heavily overcast, (like snow clouds?) with a low sun in the west.

HP5 400 in Rodinal 1+50 @ 20c for 14 minutes. I quite like the quality of the grain.

Edited cos I attached the wrong file, d'oh!

12. Phoebe

Phoebe Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    HP5 Plus and Rodinal

The standard film I use in my holga (medium format) is the HP5 Plus 400 developed with Rodinal 1:25. Same for the printing. I love the mood it creates. I have also used the AGFA APX 400 which gave me good tone and crisper less grainy prints. I was very pleased with the results. If I want a moodier, old photograph look I go with the HP5 plus.

Phoebe

13. TPPhotog

TPPhotog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've used Rodinal with some out of date Neopan 400 rated @ 250 and like the results. Have no prints handy unfortunately.

14. modafoto

modafoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Acidofix from Agfa. It's the stuff they have at the center I do my darkroom work. I haven't done any testing with other fixers as I never had any problems with it.

15. TPPhotog

TPPhotog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll just throw in Ilford Hypam Rapid Fix no problems with this one either. Good to have you back Morten O Lord of the Sacred Rodinal :D