http://www.rangefinderforum.com/

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by RMD, Nov 27, 2011.

1. RMD

RMD Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Any one know why this has gone off air in the last few days ?

2. Matthew Rusbarsky

Matthew Rusbarsky Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  3. Al Patterson

Al Patterson Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Glad I'm not the only one having problems accessing RFF

I was beginning to think I'd been banned. Thanks for the link to the closed thread, and maybe I should start hanging around here, as i see a few familiar names.

4. tomalophicon

tomalophicon Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Just don't bring your GASBAGS here. :tongue:

5. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh dear God... I hope APUG never decides to add a "bags and wrist strap" forum... or subdivide the current APUG 'Rangefinder forum' into a thousand subforums, one for each camera (and its variant) ever made!

6. Red Robin

Red Robin Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    That OTHER forum

I for one have a hard time even posting my own shots, but they must have hired someone with my computer skills to run that server! Anybody know what problems they could be having(?)without getting too techie(?). I, for one, enjoy lots of forums and having one down puts a big hole in my continuing education efforts :confused:.

7. Mackinaw

Mackinaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  8. gb hill

gb hill Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    For me (other than Flickr) rff was the easiest to upload to. Biggest aggrivation was remembering to resize the images smaller than 200kb. Haven't uploaded anything here except an attachment in a thread. Photo Net is darn near impossible to get around & I have no idea how to upload a photo there. I may subscribe here, but I think I'll leave my uploading photo's to flickr & rangefinder images.

9. canuhead

canuhead Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    would love to know who their hosting co is.

10. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They may have fallen into the trap of relying on their host for stability and backups.. a bit too hard to speculate at this point due to lack of info. For those curious about APUG.. When I worked at IBM years ago, our huge project had extreme DR (disaster recovery) implemented, as in we actually had to plan for recovering the entire infrastructure from a tactical nuclear strike. I've taken a lot of that experience and applied it to APUGs DR plan. If our data center was destroyed (or server), I have secure synced copies of the site housed in 3 different geos (US, UK, NZ). I would quickly grab new hosting, update our DNS and re-sync data to the new host. We could theoretically be back up and running from a major disaster within a couple of hours. Hopefully the RFF server is the real issue for them and not corrupt data. Bad data is when the real nightmares begin. If it's taken their host this long already, then I wouldn't have much confidence in such a host having reliable backups in place either. Fingers crossed for them.

11. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  12. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Sean, I just saw Lars von Trier's Melancholia, and it's got me worrying, what's going to happen to APUG, if another planet collides with Earth? Do we have a mirror on Mars?

If anyone should be backed up on microfiche, it should be us.

13. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hmm... I wonder if I could backup to a satellite? :D

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. canuhead

canuhead Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Chinese are now in the space game so they might be able to put a data vault in space :wink:

16. leicarfcam

leicarfcam Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wouldn't be surprised if they are looking for new hosting by now. I do hope they will be back up soon..

17. nocounting

nocounting Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    From the Service Level Agreement (SLA) language at Layered Tech:

"Layered Tech is not responsible for the restoration of data to any server. If Hardware Failure and subsequent data loss occurs, Customer is responsible for data restoration. Layered Tech shall not be liable for loss of data under any circumstances. If a Hardware Failure causes a corrupted operating system, data files, or a damaged service configuration, Layered Tech will attempt to restore the system to its original state when reasonably possible."

If that is true, then RFF has to have their own data backup/restore plan and process. Let's hope they do.

18. Leigh Youdale

Leigh Youdale Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    This - from someone with 2339 posts! Bit snarky, aren't we? :smile: There are ways to switch off and hide a lot of stuff that you don't want to see (including posts by certain people) and obviously the wide range of subjects must be of interest to some people. Actually I'm thinking of starting one devoted to photographic tie pins - there must be a lot of people out there who would like to debate, trade, boast about their collections. But RFF is down and I can't do that right now.

Greg Hill tells me it's been down since last Wednesday. Depend upon it, there will be a flood of anguished and angry posts once it resumes, most of which will have little to do with photography.

19. dct

dct Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Agreed 1. They will write down their frustration. And a week later we will laugh about all the trouble. :laugh:

Agreed 2. Apart from the personal minded discussions, it is still my best fundus of deep technical knowledge for the most exotic RF questions.

20. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think one on all the different aftermarket lens caps is a more pressing need.

21. Dawes71

Dawes71 Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    On a positive note (for me at least) having RFF down has lead me to rediscover APUG, it's not half bad y'know! :tongue:

22. EddieMurphy

EddieMurphy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    RFF'er checking in. I could never remember my original RFF password though, so I never logged into that site...just kept browsing the classifieds, and reading through threads most of the time. When its back up, I guess I have no reason not to make a new account.

This seems to be a nicely setup forum too!

23. AKITADOG

AKITADOG Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    RRF should be up later today or tomorrow. Waiting for parts.

RRF should be up later today or tomorrow. Waiting for parts.

Akitadog

:smile:

24. EddieMurphy

EddieMurphy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    nice!

25. nocounting

nocounting Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    "Waiting for parts" and assuming it "should be up later today or tomorrow" is wishful thinking. It's not typically how IT works in a disaster recovery mode, especially when there is only "best effort" offered by the hosting service.

It's been down for a week, what's the rush. I say give them another week, as a target.

26. Leigh Youdale

Leigh Youdale Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    "waiting for parts"???????? Sounds like your average Mexican motor mechanic's excuses!