Hubba Hubba Negatives

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by mark, May 14, 2004.

1. mark

mark Member

Ever flip on the lights, pull a neg from the fix, hold it to the lights and drool? I processed one the other evening, and as usual my wife had no clue what I was talking about. She did say "Neat" as it was on the light box though. Oh well. I'm off to drool somemore. You guys understand that this is a sickness.... right? :wacko:

2. Ka

Ka Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It's light, energy, love, joy, a gift, sometimes an obsession, it's food, water, a craving, better than great, a creation, a wonder, always new, every time.... and not a bit sick. I think.

ka

3. Ka

Ka Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    And everyone won't "get" it. That's ok. You get it. That's enough.

4. Jorge Oliveira

Jorge Oliveira Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Don't worry, it's Ok.

Or so I used to think before the shrink sarted to apply those electric shock
    things...

:surprised:ops:

Jorge O

5. Tom Duffy

Tom Duffy Member

Unfortuately, many of my negatives which look "so full of promise", to use Gordon Hutching's term, never seem to deliver that promise to the paper.

6. mobtown_4x5

mobtown_4x5 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    yeah, same here.

7. Les McLean

Les McLean Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In my experience an exciting negative rarely produces an exciting print but a boring flat negative often produces an exciting print. I've even tried making a negative image from an exciting negative to make the image live and that has not worked either.

8. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You know Les, you’ve put into words something I’ve experienced, but not really thought about before. I too have had negative that ‘ jump off’ the lightbox, but don’t print very well whereas the unexciting one’s often produce the best results. Is it that the first sort tend to be high contrast, and therefore difficult to print, or maybe lack shadow detail? Any ideas people?

9. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is so true. But I do love the look of a beautiful neg

10. Doug Bennett

Doug Bennett Member

I think it may be a condenser/diffusion thing. I use a condenser enlarger, and yes, a very thin, boring negative works much better than those dramatic, contrasty ones.

I've yet to do the work of testing for personal film speed, but I have discovered that, for my enlarger, I can reduce dev times by 20-30% from recommended times, and not be hurt in the least. In fact, my usual practice is a 1 stop pull and dramatically reduced dev times.

11. jd callow

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think this is pretty much it for B&W negs. I love the look of a tmax neg, but find they never print how I'd like them to -- experience being a large part of that.

Cross processed (e6 film souped in c41) negs can be stunning and near impossible to print for the same reason. With a crossed neg you can layer it with an unexposed but souped proper neg and make it manageable. I just wish ra4 materials came in grades.

12. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I can often tell by looking at a negative whether or not it will be easy to produce a good print from it. It is far more dificult to guess whether I can produce a good picture from it!

13. Les McLean

Les McLean Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    mrcallow

I do too they are so seductive.

your avatar reminds me of someone but I just can't remember who?

14. jd callow

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Les, Have you been to Ferndale michigan USofA recently. Of course my avatar is always being confused with (or maybe by) people of significance.