Huge Disrespect for George Eastman.

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by Stephen Frizza, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Stephen Frizza

Stephen Frizza Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I was looking around on ebay and came across this site.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GEORGE-EASTMAN-PORTRAIT-8X10-PHOTO-KODAK-PHOTOGRAPHY-/230378509217?pt=Art_Photo_Images&hash=item35a3a113a1

I find it is HUGELY disrespectful to George Eastman the founder of KODAK. If you read the product description these reprints of one of George Eastman most famous portraits are printed on FUJI photographic paper. What on earth is this seller thinking??? Is it just me or does it seem totally wrong to print memorabilia images of George Eastman onto one of this largest competitors products?

2. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I suppose they could have printed it on Kodak paper, if it were still being produced.

3. hpulley

hpulley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Strangely they printed it on Fuji Crystal Archive... they could just as well have printed it on Kodak Endura! Odd to print B&W on color paper though that is what Kodak suggests these days since they don't make B&W paper anymore. I still have some Polycontrast II 8x10 around to make real B&W prints on Kodak paper ;-) Strangely the old data sheets for Polycontrast don't say discontinued on Kodak.com, unlike pages for Verichrome Pan which suggest a replacement.

4. eddie

eddie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The ad says: "This is a professional chemically processed photo printed directly from the credited source". The source is listed as the Library of Congress. Does that mean they used a LOC negative? Can you legally use LOC materials for profit?

5. Pinholemaster

Pinholemaster Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    All material in the Library of Congress is available since their archives are public domain.

It is funny that the sales pitch says Fujifilm archive paper. Reminds me of the time a professional magazine photographer was hired to photograph the CEO of Kodak back in the 1980s. The photographer showed up with Fuji transparency film.

When I CEO saw the film, he was reported to have said "You are a professional, but after this portrait session is over, I do what to talk to you."

6. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I understand your point...I suppose, however, that, while GE was certainly Kodak's founder, others might point out that he certainly didn't invent photography and that an equally large part of the high-quality of modern photo materials depends
    on the work and research of other individuals and manufacturers, not only Kodak? :wink:

7. BrianL

BrianL Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It is like the President of General Motors being driven around town in a Lincoln limo. Nothing wrong with a Lincoln but, just seems somehow disrespectful or not taking into consideration the obvious oddness.

8. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It might made the print after Kodak B&W paper disappeared.

Jeff

9. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    It sounds like they are ordering the prints from the LOC and reselling them. You could just as easily order one from the LOC directly, it may be cheaper.

10. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would be very surprised if the Library of Congress bought multiple types of paper so as to match the manufacturer to the subject of the photos.

I expect that the Fuji paper was purchased as a result of an RFP procedure - I'm sure it met the technical requirements and was probably at least a few pennies cheaper per long roll.

11. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Kodak was once respected as one of the World's great sources of film, paper, equipment, and information. Maintaining such a position is not easy. George Eastman and Kodak were the masters of their fate; the captains of their souls. If they failed, and plotted a course that let other companies take the lead, they do not deserve the blind undying respect of their former customers. I am amused by the ironic choice of a competitor's product for reproducing Eastman's portrait.

12. Michael W

Michael W Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    At least it's not an inkjet print.

13. hpulley

hpulley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    But it could have been on Kodak Inkjet Paper and perhaps a Kodak Inkjet Printer?

14. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  15. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Back in the '70s when the UK was in a recession rather like now, there was a buy British campaign. The factory I used to work at (and this is years before my time) got in on the act and handed out boxes of matches to all the workers. On the boxes where Union flags and 'buy British'. On the reverse, as clear as day, was written 'made in China'.

16. ricardo12458

ricardo12458 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    How ironic. :smile:

"Let's all proudly wave our American flags made in [Red] China."

17. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Could this be on FUJIBROME B&W paper? I suspect that paper is long since discontinued. Was this paper ever imported to USA? How would LOC get this paper? Is this a print from the 1980s?

I thought the title of this thread was because of a disrespect for Eastman for making a company that now ignores is film customers.

18. Stephen Frizza

Stephen Frizza Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    i contacted the seller who told me it was a shame that they have to print it using fuji paper on a fuji frontier but sadly kodak doesn't make photographic printing paper anymore. what the hell?????

19. hpulley

hpulley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Frontier machine will be printed on Fuji Crystal Archive digital paper obviously.

Kodak has done such a great job telling everyone that they're now a B2B digital company that no one even knows they still make at least color printing paper in rolls... good job, guys :sad:

20. Aristophanes

Aristophanes Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Not a Lincoln. A Toyota.

Extending the metaphor.

21. billbretz

billbretz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    He's thinking he can make a few bucks.

Download image from LOC. Sell cheap reprint on eBay. Receive order (maybe). Print and ship for a couple of dollars. Pocket difference. No sale? No real cost.

No disrespect intended, seller might not even be aware of the irony. Not the kind of biz I'm interested in, but if the image is out of copyright (not all images in the LOC are in the public domain - this one is listed as 'rights status not evaluated') it's legit.

22. MattCarey

MattCarey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The original image on the LOC website is from a glass negative (plate). Costs to make print from a glass negative is $40. No way the seller is reselling LOC printed copies.

LOC is highly resistant to pulling the negatives for stuff scanned (this one has a 20MB+ file)

If I were exchanging emails with the seller, I would ask precisely how the portraits were made: i.e. from what negative, obtained in what way. Obviously the original negative is not being used. Mostly likely, the negative (if there is one) was produced from a scan by the LOC.