Humidity In Camera bags?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by ToddB, Sep 27, 2012.

1. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hey guys,

I was thinking.. I know our cameras and especially vintage cameras like Rolleis can have real problem with humidity. Do you guys make arrangments with some sort of silicon or rice bags in your bags?

Todd

2. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I usually choose the bags for the specific conditions I will be encountering. Waterproof with rain hood if wet, and oil/cloth canvas when dry. If the bags get wet i just hang them to dry with everything out of it, and all pockets open, and hanging.

I also like to pack gear in ziplock bags to combat humidity with cameras that are not weather sealed, also within the ziplocks I toss silica gels.

But I think in situations such as the tropics, you really cant do much about it.

3. 2bits

2bits Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Todd,
    I always keep one or two silicon bags that come in aspirin and vitamin bottles in each of my camera bags. I replace them about every 6 mo's. Never had a problem with humidity, moisture, or dampness in the air. You can also buy commercial ones designed for gun safes at many sporting goods stores.
    Even in my dry climate it is good insurance. Good luck in protecting your stuff!
    2bits

4. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No. It isn't worth the bother unless you live in the tropics. Rice is worthless, it absorbs moisture but can contribute it's own fungal problems. Silica gel packets will only absorb moisture until they are saturated, they then have to be reactivated in your oven. Putting a saturated SG packet in a camera bag can actually increase the humidity in the bag.
    A camera bag is permeable, or at least not sealed well enough for an average size packet to actually dry it significantly. Keep the gear in a cool dry place, dry it if it gets damp before you put it back in the bag or case, and you shouldn't have any worries.

5. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Great tips guys. Since I got my Rollei, I want to keep it safe.

Todd

6. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think as long as the bag is breathable it will dry out. I'm more worried about hermetically sealed Pelican cases. I would use silica gel canisters if the case is closed or leave it cracked open if you don't use silica gel.

7. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Understandable. I have a 1950 Deardorff V8 with the original leather bellows, a 1960~ Linhof, original leather bellows, as well as other nice/ rare/expensive things that dampness could harm or destroy. One mistake to avoid is keeping stuff too well closed up, with temperature changes condensation can form and disaster occur.
    Just keep the gear where air can get to it and circulate, you won't have any trouble. Unless you live somewhere that thr relative humidity is up around 100% all the time. Then it's big tupperware tubs with industrial size dessicant cannisters.

8. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    +1

9. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Speaking of bags.. I have Mamiya/Rollei in cotton Canvas backpack. I was actually looking for a cross body smaller bag for just carrying around Rollei and a couple of rolls of film and light meter. Got an suggestions?

Todd

10. mcd

mcd Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  11. dpurdy

dpurdy Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I use a Lowepro Nova 3. You can adjust the middle chamber to exactly fit a Rollei and the side chambers are perfect for film and light meter and accessories. The outside pocket on the back is perfect size for passport and airline tickets.

I take a lot of vitamins and herbs and they mostly come with a silica gel pack. I have a tupperware container to hold my enlarger lenses in the basement and toss the gel packs in there and replace them now and then. The camera bag I keep up stairs where humidity is generally below 50%.
    Dennis

12. Double Negative

Double Negative Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Gel packs, as mentioned - don't really help for long. They'll end up getting saturated in short order and recycling them (via oven) is just a pain.

Best solution - whenever you're home, at the hotel, etc. just open the bag and let it air out. A closed, dark, damp bag with no air flow is a sure fire way to promote fungus. So store them open as well.

13. mcd

mcd Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format

One minute or so in a microwave recharges the Dri Box. Yes they get saturated fast in a cloth bag, but they work great in cases.

14. Double Negative

Double Negative Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I kind of figured you can use a microwave... Never tried it though.

Yeah, with cases (non-permeable) they work great. Once the air inside is dry, you're set. Nevertheless, as a consumer you buy a lot of things containing these packs, from shoes to electronics. Rather than throw them out, I just toss them in various camera/lens bags. Can't hurt, certainly. :smile:

15. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh also I saw some of the silica packs online that change color when saturated in clear packages, this could also be a good solution.