Hundreds of Slides from the 60s

Discussion in 'Antiques and Collecting' started by RuesMovies, Feb 17, 2017 at 1:23 PM.

1. RuesMovies

RuesMovies Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I just inherited 100s of Kodachrome and Ektachrome slides from the late 60s. Lots of great architecture, sail boat race in Puget sound, landscapes, etc. Should I look at scanning and uploading these to a stock photo site? Donate them somewhere? They're not pictures of "memories" they are more like high quality magazine photos. I did not know this relative, the slides just drifted down through various people until they landed in my lap because "I'm the one that takes pictures."

All suggestions welcome!

2. pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maybe he can be the new Vivian Maier!

3. bvy

bvy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    eBay. Put it in the hands of an enthusiastic collector and grab some cash at the same time.

4. keenmaster486

keenmaster486 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I would be wary of eBay because of "repurposing" people who would just stick the slides to an oatmeal can and spread glitter on them.

5. RuesMovies

RuesMovies Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I considered ebay - but I am leery of the "repurposing." I mean, deep down I don't have an emotional connection to the images - it's really more about the awesomeness of slide film and the genuine quality of the photographs. Also, there's a bit of "family legend" that this guy (who took the photos) was in the CIA, so I like to imagine that there's some kind of Da Vinci code in them! LOL

6. RuesMovies

RuesMovies Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    OK - I checked out Vivian - what a story! I've only random-sampled boxes, but I don't think there are many people in the photos maybe 5% of the slides) That's why I was leaning toward stock...you know, sailboats, landscapes, buildings... I don't know!