HybridPhoto.com (sister site) initial site launch invitation

Discussion in 'APUG System Announcements' started by Sean, Oct 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member Admin

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi All,

I would like to invite the APUG.ORG gray area users to register over at the new dedicated forum at http://www.HybridPhoto.com
    For now the registrations require no email validation to speed the process up.

This new website was born out of the APUG.ORG alt. process subforum "The Gray Area" which deals with digital and traditional processes. Currently HybridPhoto.com is still under construction with only the forums and gallery activated (seems to work best in firefox browser with minor graphical issues in IE that I'm working on). The plan is to finish a few more tweaks today then I must get back to some apug.org work.

This new venture will be run by myself and our own John Callow. With both of us involved there should be plenty of resource to work on and improve the site. John is also very knowledgable in web building and the hybrid arena.

As for APUG.ORG the gray area is closed and APUG is now 100% Traditional.

I hope the hybrid folks enjoy the new dedicated area and continue to use apug as well. For those who might be 'anti-hybrid' just keep in mind these folks shoot a lot of film and output to a lot of traditional papers which I believe can help in many ways to keep our materials alive.

Thanks,
    Sean

2. terri

terri Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks really nice so far, Sean. I appreciate you taking the extra step.

I'm an analog shooter all the way - but when faced with the need to make reproductions of some of my Polaroid transfers and lifts, there IS a need to understand the value of a good photo printer, pigmented inks vs dyes, etc. Some of the inkjet papers that are coming on the market these days are really lovely, as well.

It is indeed a hybrid process for me in that regard. I'd much rather use a sister site of APUG when I have the need to dip my toe into the digital waters! :tongue:

Thanks again!

3. MurrayMinchin

MurrayMinchin Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Good luck with your new venture Sean!

Murray

4. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Sean,

Thanks for the heads up. I will register as soon as my website e-mail is back online. E-mail has been done since Saturday. We are in the midst of getting another service and server.

Rich

5. Greg_E

Greg_E Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Just a note, in the anti-spambot random text letters verification box, some of the letters will really give people that are red-green colorblind a problem. Something like 1 in every 12 adult males is affected by this, so you might want to see if you can change the color scheme a little.

6. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Sean,

Just wondering if I am not able to post on the new hybrid forum because I can not receive and read my e-mail or because I was not normally a participant in the grey area forum. If possible, could you send me a PM so that I can respond on the new forum? I do not know how much longer it will take for my web designer to get all of the websites and e-mail addresses to migrate to the new location.

Thanks.

Rich

7. Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    it should be working, let me check

8. Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i accidentally turned on email verification so have disabled it and promoted recent accounts to registered status, sorry..

9. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Sean,

I am finally able to post. So if you fixed it or it was only a short time glich, I am in.

Rich

10. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    I guess this is a good thing.

But I wonder if by having two separate sites:

1) You are creating a "ghetto" to segregate "hybrids"?

2) You may ultimately find the tail wagging the dog and the "ghetto" being APUG?

I guess what really concerns me is that there is no identifier I can see on the "Hybrid" site that shows any tie-in to APUG.

When it comes time to renew my subscription - where do I do so and what does that get me?

11. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Geroge,

It says this site brought to you by Apug.org right at the top of the page when you visit, I would imagine, if your a subscriber on apug.org, that would be where you renew your membership...I think it is a good move, there has been so many this vs. that threads on apug over the years, now this gives those who want to talk about different processes someplace to do it, and perhaps in a more civil manner than most of the other sites I have seen on the web.

I would have to say, with all the irons in the fire Sean has, kudos are in order, thanks Sean, I don't anticipate being there often, but it would be a different perspective every once in a while.

Dave

12. Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is an identifier at the top and links to apug in the forums. The homepage which is under construction has an welcome intro detailing apug's involvement. The hybrid site is free and will be ad supported (no popups). I don't see any ghetto situation, just a massive internet which has plenty of room for all types of communities..

13. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    Cool!

I registered there - but I think I'll stay here! :D

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Sure Sean, looks great and all, but where's the chat? (kidding there buddy!)

16. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Sean - now I'll be able to ask my scanning and uploading questions without feeling so guilty:smile: .

Would it be correct to assume that links to threads in HybridPhoto.com won't be frowned upon here, if they are relevant to issues raised here?

And vice-versa?

Matt

17. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    I did not have Hybrid with that woman - and if I did - I wouldn't have known it anyway!:wink:

18. André E.C.

André E.C. Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Way to go Sean and John!
    Best of luck for this new venture.:smile:

Cheers

André

19. brimc76

brimc76 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Sean and John, and best of luck with the new site.

20. eclarke

eclarke Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Hi Sean,
    Is that venture holding up the completion of Apug???Evan Clarke

21. Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, the plan was to always get the core of apug to a level the site could be cloned into hybridphoto.com. When we hit that level the other day I decided to go ahead and get the hybrid site up -but unfortunately the 'clone' turned out to be more of a total rebuild setting my apug dev back about 4-5 days. The hybrid site is now at a stable level that dev on apug will continue 100% until completion. We'll get there soon and I appreciate everyone's patience. Thanks

22. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If a thread on APUG leads to a hybrid topic, then I would think that a link to HybridPhoto.com would be just the right solution, and then the hybrid discussion can go on over there, and the traditional discussion can continue on APUG.

23. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    thanks sean for getting this up and running.

there are a lot of knowledgeable folks here on apug who also have very valuable information that hybird issues that can't be found elsewhere.
    I say that , as i have been researching various sites , asking a few questions here and there and am still waiting for answers.

So, there are a lot of sites with digital information, and several with alternative processes but combining the two with really knowledgeable people who one can trust to know what they are doing hopefully will be found at hybrid.

you already have my registration and support.
    For both sites.

24. eclarke

eclarke Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format

Is the chemistry recipe page accessible anywhere???.Thanks Evan Clarke

25. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Visited the site and it looks great.
    The only problem that I see is this will add more time on the computer each day reading the posts.
    APUG.org for 20 minutes, over the APUGhybrid for 20 minutes and finally a visit to LargeFormat.com for another 20 minutes.
    way to go Sean

26. jstraw

jstraw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm a bit confused. It seems to me that as long as this is an analog photography community that makes use of a website with galleries, there will be digital image files involved. Do discussions about preparing files for the galleries on this website have to take place on another website?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.