Hydroquinine in Australia

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by tony lockerbie, Jul 24, 2011.

1. tony lockerbie

tony lockerbie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just ran out of Hydroquinine (and a few other things) and went to Digital Truth to check out their bulk chemistry, as I don't think anyone here in OZ does that anymore.
    Unfortunately they can't ship Hydroquinone, most others are OK....bummer!
    Do any Aussie Apuggers know where one can get this chemical? Appreciate the help.
    Tony

2. cluttered

cluttered Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I haven't used them myself (yet!), but Ace Chemical Company here in Adelaide claim to have Hydroquinine Tech in stock. See http://www.acechem.com.au

3. Athiril

Athiril Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Vanbar has Hydroquinine, unfortunately they removed the 500g or 1kg container off their website, which per gram was inexpensive and left the 100g one on there which per gram is expensive.

But otherwise you can still get it.

4. tony lockerbie

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for that, I didn't think that Vanbar was stil doing chemicals.....I will give them a go.

5. Athiril

Athiril Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    So your back in Aus now? Don't I have your film? I never got a message back when you wanted it :smile:

6. tony lockerbie

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Never left....did I want some film? Could be my memory has deserted me?

7. Athiril

Athiril Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Looks like mine has too.. I have someone's film they sent me for processing from APUG.. oh dear

8. john_s

john_s Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I bought some HQ from Merck in Melbourne. It wasn't particularly cheap but it was lovely and fresh: airfreighted from Germany just for me. Actually, freshness probably isn't really an issue with HQ.

9. Mick Fagan

Mick Fagan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tony, I was in Vanbar's a month or more back and found out that they are very much into chemicals.

I am after some Boric Acid and mentioned that it wasn't listed, but they had 18 1kg containers of the stuff, I just had to order it and come back in and pick it up.

They do have hydroquinine and they may give you a 1 kg container if time isn't a problem as they will measure it out (maybe) for you.

I was going to order my stuff and go in to pick it up, but with some health issues the Saturday morning trip in wasn't about to happen, I'll be doing it in the next couple of weeks though and if you haven't gotten an answer I'll try and remember to ask for you.

Mick.

10. raoul

raoul Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Mick, is this in Carlton or North Melbourne store?

11. Mick Fagan

Mick Fagan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Raoul, the chemicals are at North Melbourne. As I go there on Saturdays and Nth Melb is closed on Saturdays now, I have to order in advance and pick up on a Saturday.

Allow about a week if it's not on the shelf, so to speak.

Mick.

12. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I hope not. I'm working through a pound of Hydroquinone that is dated 1973 !
    (works fine for me).

13. tony lockerbie

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Update, I ordered a few things from Vanbar, most they didn't have, but they did have HQ! Ordered 200g which should keep me going for a while.
    I wanted some Pyro and Metol, also Potassium Carbonate....which seems to be hard to access without some sort of stat. dec, must be used in bombs or something.

14. Murray Kelly

Murray Kelly Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Tony, with a name like that I'm surprised you can buy any chems at al!! :smile:

Mick, I tried so hard to get boric acid and ran into a brick wall (so to speak). Seems to be under the same dark cloud. I wanted to use a boric acid/borate buffer and eventually was reduced to getting 100g off e-bay in a box - the box was a collector's item, apparently. Anyone want a boracic acid box?

I will be in Melbourne end of October so must check out my supplies so's to be ready to take advantage of Vanbar's chem supplies. Next to impossible to get anything here.

Hi John - the stuff I got from you is invaluable, even if mundane. Thanks.

15. john_s

john_s Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I was going to offer some potassium carbonate to the OP but if he can't get his developing agents it wouldn't be of much use! I will phone Merck today if i have time and see what they can get and at what price.