I AM A BOXOHOLIC!

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by mrwestphal, Aug 8, 2006.

1. mrwestphal

mrwestphal Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Okay, I bought a .99 cent Ansco box camera and you know what happens from there. You move onto bigger boxes and before you know what has happened, you find a whole bunch of 70, 80 and 90 year old folders waiten' on your doorstep to boot!! I just can't help myself!! Not only are they fun to clean up and get working, there are even so much better to be standing out somewhere taking a picture and to have someone come up to you, stare for awhile, know they want to ask but are just too afraid (what the hell is he doing with that box???).
    So, how many other closet boxer's are there out there? you know who you are!
    Stant up and be proud of your letherette covered cardboard!

Doug W.

2. athanasius80

athanasius80 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Box camera addict reporting for duty SIR!

3. Gay Larson

Gay Larson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    just got a new one but I don't know how to use them or get them working. I just have them on my shelf to admire.

4. rfshootist

rfshootist Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    No cardboard here, steel ! Glad to learn there are box nuts here ! :smile:

I got 2 Zeiss Tengor (pre WWII), an Agfa Box around 1950 and two Agfa Clack, all 6X9. The Clack is a pretty sophisticated thingy, the film plane is curved, to balance the deficit of the simple lens toward the corners.
    All costed less than $10.

Attached a photo of my latest Tengor and a photo shot with the AGFA BOX, on FP4.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2006
  5. rfshootist

rfshootist Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    In case anybody still does not know him :

http://www.kenrockwell.com/dv/phone.htm

The above pic of my favourites btw. Some in his gallery got a bot too much USM, would not habe v been necessary IMO

bertram

6. Claire Senft

Claire Senft Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have avoided doing this so far. Do any of you wish to join BA?

7. rfshootist

rfshootist Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Claire, what means BA here?

Thanks,
    Bertram

8. Claire Senft

Claire Senft Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Boxcamera anonymous.

9. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'm in Bellowcameras Anonymous already, so no thanks.

10. mrwestphal

mrwestphal Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ole, I have not seen you at any of those meetings!
    I love bellows cameras too! I have a great little Kodak Six-20 folder I love to carry around and yes, I get strange looks with my folders too.
    I save my 4X5 gear for my serious work.
    Man, I have way too many cameras. WHOE,,,, wait a minute, did I just say that?
    Or was that the evil voice (wife) in the back of my mind saying that?

11. glennfromwy

glennfromwy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Check out the pictures grom the Ansco Shur Flash box camera we passed around the country last year. Lots of nice stuff from this beat up cardboard wonder.

Http://nelsonfoto.com/v/index.php

Scroll down toward the bottom of the threads.

12. rfshootist

rfshootist Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Well,this does not sound as if you were fond of this sort of exposing film? :wink:

Actually it had been a quite interesting experience to go back to the camera I once started with at the age of 8, almost shocking how little technology is needed to get a decent neg, after all these years of believing in the "better" gadget !

Tho never ever having been myself one of those gear nuts this mad me thoughtful anyway about what role at all the gadget should play for me. Still less than I had thought, I'd say now.

Best,
    bertram

13. Claire Senft

Claire Senft Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    All though I am not a user of box cameras I am not against them. The orginization, to which I do not belong, is dedicated to helping those that have come to realize that they are powerless to help themselves in the presence of a box camera and that there exist a higher power that will help them to eliminate this addiction..actually there are a total of 12 steps.

I believe that the acid test is this: Can you load a box camera with a roll of film and take 1 photo and remain comfortable or it is necessary for you to finish off the roll? If you are uncomfortable with the taking of a single exposure then it is wise for you to seek help.

Each person to their own form of gout. I myself qualify to be a member of PFA..Perforated Film Anonymous. Sadly, however, I have yet to hit bottom and I am at a point of being happy in my addiction.

14. mrwestphal

mrwestphal Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh no Claire! I have failed the test miserably!!! Just one picture at a time? Is that possible? No shurely you jest?! after all, with my big ol' brownie I only get 5 images from an adapted 120 roll and doesn't it seam a waste to just capture "1" when you know there are 4 more calling your name and saying "go ahead Doug, there's only a couple more, what could it hurt??"

15. pgomena

pgomena Member

There are at least twelve steps between clicking the shutter and pulling the print out of the wash. Just repeat the process until you feel better.

I didn't realize you could put the cameras back together again after taking them apart. I disassembled one and the entire shutter/lens system was contained in a block of wood and some tin that could be taped to the front of a 4x5 lensboard. Fun to play with.

Peter Gomena

16. James Hill

James Hill Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm with you. A few years ago I picked up an Ansco Shur Shot just for fun, and now it rides along with me everywhere!

17. MWGraves

MWGraves Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No box cameras for me: I'm far too sophisticated for that. For me it's old folders. Voightlander Bessa, Rolfix 6x9 and a Moskva 5. Well, there is the Spectator 120 and the old Spartus 120 Box Cameras. But they see little use. May ten rolls each in the past year.

Last month, I'm standing on the pier in some small town in Maine focusing my Moskva and up comes this 30-something guy with his Canon Rebel XT...same model I used to illustrate my last two books...and says, "Haven't you ever heard of digital?"

"Shore have, Sonny," I said. "Ain't that a new cough syrup fer little tykes?"