I am getting back into Analog Photography....

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by jouhar, Mar 25, 2009.

1. jouhar

jouhar Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello to all,

I have two reasons for joining this forum - firstly, after a few years of digital, my interest in traditional photography has been re-kindled - I intend to start up a darkroom again, many years after I last developed and printed my own pictures. My father had a darkroom and when I left home about 30 years ago, my opportunities for photography diminished, and then I had a family - you know the story....but now I am picking up my Pentax Spotmatic where I left off !!

The second reason is that I inherited a huge amount of MF and 35mm negatives/transparencies and several hundred exhibition prints that were all created by my grandfather Dr S.D.Jouhar between 1930 and 1963. He was a prolific exhibitor in The London Salon (which he was invited to join in 1944) and also the RPS (see www.sdjouhar.com for some examples of his work)

I have been archiving his work and I have a ready supply of very interesting material that I can work with. My father started to do this about 20 years ago, but he died 9 years ago, before good quality scanners were available at a reasonable price, so he was never able to do much with the BW negs.

Anyway, I look forward to learning more and contributing to the forums where I can.

Best Regards to all,

2. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome, and sounds like you have a lot of work to print!! You'll find good information here to get you back into the dark!

3. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG Kelvin, I look forward to seeing your photos! (I'm in the process of trying to scan all my transparencies and prints as well).

4. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello from Richmond Va!

Jeff

5. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG - and welcome back from the dark side!

- Thomas

6. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Welcome aboard! Thanks for making the switch!

7. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome... take your time with the archival work. It can really take a lot of time. Just wait till you start making your own prints again. You're going to love it here.

Cheers,

8. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Welcome to the group, jouhar. We all look forward to hearing and learning from you.

9. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kelvin - hello and welcome to APUG from western New England. It's good to have you back in the dark again. :wink:

gene

10. jouhar

jouhar Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thank you all very much for the kind words of welcome.

Perhaps I can just ask - which would be the most appropriate forum to post in if I want to get some opinions on the photgraphs on my "retrospective" website ?

Regards

11. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome jouhar, that's great your going to take care of your Grandfathers work,I'v been doing that with my great uncles negs form the 30and 40's.
    Mike C.

12. vickersdc

vickersdc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome indeed jouhar. Looks like you've got yourself a long term project there, and a very interesting one at that. Do let everyone know how you get along with it all.

Cheers,
    David.

13. jouhar

jouhar Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I guess I should just clarify - my first name is Kelvin.....my surname is Jouhar :smile:

I tend to use just my surname when I register for all sorts of web stuff - it makes it easier, for me anyway !!

Regards
    Kelvin

14. sarahfoto

sarahfoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Wow, Jouhar, I admire your grandfathers photographs very much!
    Fantastic images, I'm sure you will have a lot of fun in the darkroom.

15. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUGland!

16. WarEaglemtn

WarEaglemtn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bet you never photographed using 'analog' before in your life. You used film for traditional photography.

'analog' is BS. Call it film. The other stuff is pixelography.

17. jouhar

jouhar Member

Shooter:
    35mm

Thanks Sarah,

I have about 5000 negatives including glass plates from 1930's. I also have about 300 exhibition prints.
    Regards

Kelvin

18. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Howdy from Penna.
    got my first camera(Brownie Holiday) when I was 10. Been hooked ever since. I've led a blessed life, I met Ansel Adams at age 11 when living in northern N.M. Bought my first 35(Argus C3 brick)at a yard sale at 13 I think I paid a dollar, it had no light meter. That camera taught me much about exposure. My first darkroom came the same way-a yard sale at 15(its still the 60's). My firstslr was an Olympus FTL predating the OM. I've shot a few miles of celluloid, in many formats, and do not plan on stopping any time soon.
    SSOOO---keep your inner eye on soft focus, and shoot to satisfy your vision.