I am very happy today!!!!

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by nick10, Jul 28, 2012.

1. nick10

nick10 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Today I went to a "antiques" shop in which I had seen yesterday a Yashica Electro 35 GN which I was going today to buy it as it was in good condition and they were asking 20 euro for it. So I went but unfortunately they had sold it, but they had brought 3-4 Nikon F90x bodies and a Olympus OM-10 body which was working but it was missing the baseplate!!! I asked them if they had other cameras except those I have seen and they told me they had in their car. So I went to see them. In a box they had a Pentax ME, a Nikon F90X, a Fujica AX-1(I am not sure about it), a Minolta XG-9 and a Nikon FE-2 with a Soligor winder in very good condition!!!! So I am the happy owner of a Nikon FE-2 with a a Nikkor lens(1:1.8/50 Nikkor) and a Soligor winder for only 50 euros.

2. ArtO

ArtO Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    FE-2 is a very nice camera. Run some film through it and enjoy!

3. 2bits

2bits Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow! Nice find.

4. nick10

nick10 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I forgot to mention that according to them, all this stuff belonged to someone who has died and his son sold these cameras to this shop, and they would sell all this stuff to a collector. So I must consider myself lucky to find this camera at the right moment.

5. stradibarrius

stradibarrius Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You will really grow to love the FE2. I have an FE and it is a terrific camera!

6. walbergb

walbergb Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice find. I'd be happy, too. Now go shoot some film and make yourself REALLY happy:D

7. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great! Now enjoy them and shoot!

8. jnoir

jnoir Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Goes to show how important is to ask for more ;-)

9. nick10

nick10 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Bad news guys! I bought two LR-44 1.5V batteries but the camera does not work. So what is the best way to clean the battery contacts;(the camera had inside two batteries that seems to have leaked).
    If it isnt the battery contacts the cause of this problem, then how much it will cosr me to repair it;

10. LyleB

LyleB Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I had a FM with a non-functioning light meter. I sent it to Garry's Camera Repair for a CLA and repair if it could all be done for the cost of the CLA. Garry wasn't sure he could repair the meter, said it depended on what was wrong. Turned out it was a badly corroded (vitually destroyed) battery compartment. He performed the complete CLA and rebuilt the battery compartment for $53. It is slightly different than original, but works fine. If it were mine, I would send it in for an estimate. Garry was very responsive to my inquiries.

11. segedi

segedi Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When I had a similar problem, used a fine grit sandpaper to remove the corrosion buildup. A bit brute force, but it worked.

12. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    We are so lucky to still have these great guys around who do great work for such great prices, like Hendrickson with my Pentaxes.

13. nick10

nick10 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Although the batteries leaked, the battery chamber seems clean. Nevertheless I cleaned it with cotton buds without result. So do you suggest I use gilt sandpaper or what else;

14. LyleB

LyleB Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The problem with my FM was that the corrosion was in the compartment itself, not necessarily visible on the contacts. The wires had corroded and needed to be replaced. My point, the problem may be deeper than is readily visible and cleanable, but still not insurmountable if the camera is disassembled by a knowledgeable person.

That said, I have heard of folks using a pencil eraser with good success, also fine grit sandpaper or emery cloth could probably help without causing serious harm - use care not to bend or deeply abraid. I've also seen folks refer to a commercial contact cleaning kit that consists of two fluids you apply, one a cleaner, the other a protectant. I don't recall what the name of the product was, it is suggested often for lens/camera contacts that get finicky.

15. WMRphoto

WMRphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A small bit of vinegar will take out corrosion, I used this on an old vivitar flash and it jumped back to life! I would be careful and maybe just soak a q-tip in the vinegar and try not to let some get into the camera. Short of this, I would send it out for a CLA as suggested as it probably needs a good cleaning too.

16. nick10

nick10 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thank you very much for your help. A CLA is in schedule as this camera worths it

17. nick10

nick10 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have unfortunately bad news. I went the camera to a repairman and he told me that the camera isn΄t fixable because the problem isn΄t in the battery contacts or the wires but is more serious and he can't fix it because he has't any spares. So I will return the camera to the shop I bought it and pick another. The available options are a Pentax ME, a Fujica AX-1, a Olympus OM-10, a Nikon F90 and a Nikon F90x. The Fujica has a X-Fujinon zoom and for the Nikons I can keep the Nikkor from the FE-2. So my question is which camera should I choose;

18. Ricardo Miranda

Ricardo Miranda Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The Nikon F90X. But, I'll suggest to you to find out exactly what went wrong with the FE2 and if any repairer has spares for it. Good luck! :smile: