I bought it, Its Huge but is it any good?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Nikki, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Nikki

Nikki Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dear Large Format Gurus,

I purchased a marvelous looking lens. Marvelous to my neophyte eyes, that is but I defer to y'all. Please see link and let me know if I bought a lemon would ya?

Wollensak

Nikki

2. blaze-on

blaze-on Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm sure the lens experts wil chime in soon, but in my opinion, if it covers 8x10 and the shutter works, for $45 it's a great lens...

You have an 8x10 or LF to try it on?

3. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hard to say, but if it's a decent copy of the Goerz double anastigmat, you may have found a good bargain. In any case, you didn't pay too much for it, so if the shutter works, and it's an interesting lens, you haven't lost anything.

It looks like it has US stops, rather than the more common f:stops that we use today. If you search for "u.s. stops" here, I think someone's posted a conversion chart.

4. Nikki

Nikki Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not yet but I have my eye on one.

5. Nikki

Nikki Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

The shutter works and the glass looks pretty good. So I am very optimistic. Now I just need to find a great deal on a beginner 8x10 camera.
    More ebay in my future I think.

Thanks for the info.

Nikki

6. MattCarey

MattCarey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Let's see-get the lens, now you have an excuse to buy the camera?

Wait, that was me!

Matt

7. David H. Bebbington

David H. Bebbington Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A working lens for that price can't be bad. US (Universal System) stops double in value numerically for each smaller stop:

US4 = f8, US8 = f11, US16 = f16, US32 = f22, US64 = f32, US128 = f45, US256 = f64

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2005
  8. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    All big old lenses are usable. Some are only usable as doorstops or letterpresses, but they are all usable. :D :tongue:

That's what I tell myself after discovering the 500mm f:5.5 Schneider Aerotar is too big to fit on the 12x16" camera...

9. Claire Senft

Claire Senft Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have a suggesstion:

Take some photos with it and tell us whether or not it is a lemon. There are at least 2 issues.
    How good the lens was when released into commerce
    How good it is now that it is at least a teenager

10. laz

laz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Have you thought of posting a WTB (Want To Buy) here on AUPG? I did when looking for a beginner 8x10 and not only did I get a wonderful camera at a fair price, but with it came years of experience from the APUG community and a seller who sticks around after the sale to consult if needed. And if it matters to you, it mattered to me, the seller can give 3% to AUPG instead of infated fees to e-pay!
    -Bob

oh, you can also ask advice about purchases such as your lens before you buy.

---end of commercial, we now return you to your regularly scheduled program---

11. George Losse

George Losse Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I used a similiar idea when I sarted thinking about getting into 11x14. I started picking up 11x14 holders. It was about a year before I found a camera at the right price.

George

12. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Hi Nikki. I have a similar lens in the 11X14 size. It is very likely made by Wollensak and re-branded which they did a lot in that era. It would probably correspond to what Wolly called the "Royal Anastigmat" in the 1906 catalog. It's neither a Dagor or Protar type as most "anastigmat's" of that era were. My 11X14 lens is 8 elements in 4 groups. 2-2--2-2 (( (( )) )). An oddity. I've not made a photograph with it yet so can't comment. Initial thoughts are that 8 air-glass interfaces with no coatings usually robs a lot of contrast. Your 8X10 is likely a 13" or 330mm lens. Hope this isn't all just Greek :wink:

BTW if you or someone close is the "handy" type, I have a shabby old Kodak 2D to sell. I think I'm in it about $80. It needs a restoration++.

13. Nikki

Nikki Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was considering doing that but since I posted this thread I have 2 different offers to sell me a Kodak 2D. It must the the classic beginners camera! :smile:

I would always rather buy from APUG members. I've learned so much here.

Nikki

14. Nikki

Nikki Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

I agree that will be the true test.

15. Nikki

Nikki Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I swear the lens just spoke to me! Buy Me! Buy Me! lol Now I just have to break the news to my husband that this lens isnt going to fit my 4x5 crown graphic and I need to buy another camera!

he loves me...he loves me not?

Nikki

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2005
  16. Nikki

Nikki Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Thanks for the info David. I checked the lens and the previous owner had light scratched in the us numbers above the fstops. :smile: