I finally made the leap!

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by CPorter, Jan 5, 2005.

1. CPorter

CPorter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Greetings,

I just thought I would share with all my leap into medium format land. I have recently purchased from a friend (a good photogrpaher who has gone completely digital) a very well cared for Mamiya system. It includes: RB67 Pros S body with Beattie Intenscreen, Prism Finder, 2-120 film backs, 1 Mamiya polaroid film back, 1 NPC polaroid film back, 90mm Mamiya-Sekor f/3.8, 180mm Mamiya-Sekor f/4.5, lens hoods, Tiffen #8 & #11 filters, cable release, and bag. Price------$1,000.

I've been waiting for something like this to come along for a long time! guess patience is virtue.

2. Flotsam

Flotsam Member

Sweet system, nice price.
    You are instantly neck deep in MF.
    We'll be looking for some pictures in the galleries

3. MikeK

MikeK Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Congratulations that is a great system for a great price. Bet you are itching to try the beast out!

Happy Shooting

- Mike

4. Ara Ghajanian

Ara Ghajanian Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The RB is such a great camera! I traded my mint RB-67 ProS to my best friend for his Hasselblad 500C/M and I regret it slightly. Although the Hasselblad is higher quality, I always found the RB to be more versatile due to the bellows focusing. Also, the 6x7 size versus the 6x6 is a major difference in my opinion. The only thing that was a b!tch is the rotating film back only because you can't really get an exact frame size. We also did a side by side test with the 2 cameras and there was no difference that we could tell as far as image quality.

Good luck and enjoy it!

5. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice buy and welcome to the MF club. You'll thoroughly enjoy it.

Art.

6. mark

mark Member

Have fun. Bigger neg, Changeable backs. You are the slippery slope now.:smile:

7. MenacingTourist

MenacingTourist Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I started this summer with the same set up you bought and have really enjoyed it. I did my second portrait session last night with my newly completed one light studio. I'm lucky to have family willing to pose themselves and thier kids. I shot one roll and a pack of polariod. Lots of fun.

Beware of the large format. I made the mistake of attending the free LF workshop in Zion's national park this fall and now I have one of those cameras too. I managed to find a camera and lens for just over $100, so it wasn't too shocking but my wife still shakes her head and rolls her eyes :smile:

See you around.

8. jovo

jovo Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    With a deal like the one you got, I'm gonna see if I can find a photographer with some fine equipment who's vacilating between digi and film and talk him into digital if I can (no APUGer to be sure). Just as the 'light' comes on in his eyes as he imagines himself the proud owner of a Nikon D100 or a Canon 20D or the like, I'll make him a ridiculously low offer for his entire kit (LF of course) to relieve him of the burden of ebay or want ads so he can march right down to B&H and gratify himself instantly.

Good idea there, Chuck!!

9. roy

roy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You will have a lot of fun with that. Don't forget to show us some results.

10. BWGirl

BWGirl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As a newer member of the MF Club, myself, I bid you welcome!!! I've already bought a second back for my Hassy and a few filters, and a strap, and..... you get the picture!!! haha :D

11. CPorter

CPorter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks for all the replies and encouragement,

Today, I got a 80mm Schneider Componon f/5.6 enlarging lens for my Omega B8, but I have no lens carrier yet, so I'm not quite ready, guess I'll have to make one until I can find the correct lens carrier.

Somewhere down the road I'll have to get me a handheld meter. Until then, I'll just have to use the center weighted and spot meter in my Canon A2.

Chuck

12. CPorter

CPorter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    my mistake!!

I mean negative carrier.......

13. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Don't forget medium format reels for your developing tanks!!

14. Robert Brummitt

Robert Brummitt Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I've owned my RB since the mid-80's. It's a great camera. A tank in the field but worth it all the way. Like you, I had a friend who went digital and gave me his RB plus other goodies that I'm to sell for him. I'll get to that after my fun. Sometime.

15. Todd J. Bertolini

Todd J. Bertolini Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I hadn't been doing any photography for the last 6 years due to health issues. The "Digital Revolution" (just kidding) has put a great deal of absolutely exquisite equipment on the market at rock bottom prices. Within the last few months I have purchased used Hasselblad gear for as little as 15 cents on the dollar. Enjoy your gear and the advantage of medium format-I love to shot extachrome and have been absolutely blown away by 100 VS and have also had great results with Kodaks new UC 100 and UC 400 print films. Find a good pro lab and establish a good relationship and have fun.The market is glutted with fantastic equipment that many could never have afforded when new. Let the Digital shooters keep selling their gear for pennies on the dollar. Shoot some slides and enjoy.

16. j_mac

j_mac Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    you did much better than I. I just bought a new RZ 67 kit. All my friends think I am crazy because I didn't get a digital body for my 35 gear. I'm also looking forward to having some fun with the larger negs

17. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I shoot a lot of large format now but you will have to pry my RB from my cold dead hands....I love it....image quality is superb. Nice buy!
    Dave in Vegas

18. Buster6X6

Buster6X6 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Congratulations Chuck great buy, you are going to love it. Now is the time to get some 120 ACROS and some Rodinal and enjoy BIGGER negatives.

Welcome Greg :tongue: