I Forget What They Are Called!

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by WalterE54, Dec 22, 2010.

1. WalterE54

WalterE54 Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    The little film cartridge holders that one would affix to the neck strap...can you still get them?

2. Ian C

Ian C Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Film-Carrying Bandoliers

Styled after the belts with loops for carrying small arms ammunition and other tools, camera strap bandoliers (sometimes “bandoleers”) with elastic loops for 35mm film canisters were once common on camera straps, photographer’s field vests, and inside camera bags.

The bandoliers were also sold as add-ons to existing straps and held to the strap with snap fasteners. Due to the shift to digital cameras they’re not available except used, or possibly, as old, unsold stock.

You can make your own by purchasing the elastic fabric bands from a sewing materials supplier like Jo-Ann Fabrics and sewing the banding into loops attached to a camera strap or wherever they're wanted.

3. Athiril

Athiril Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Something spring-loaded for 120 rolls would be good.

4. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think what the Op means are the black vinyl round cases the size and shape of a cassette with a zip round the top that Kodak used to make that fastened on a camera neck strap, I remember them from twenty odd years ago but I don't know if they are still made.

5. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Look for a zippered nylon bag with a snap clip probably in a camping supply and for sure in the Container Store in their travel section. It will clip on to a belt loop. some are water-proof and they are more versatile because they are not limited to a film size plus you can put other stuff in as well.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

6. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I remember them -- I may even have a leather one somewhere in the back of a closet -- but I suspect they have gone extinct. In a quick look I didn't find an example, but I wonder if a variety of pouch for a cell phone or the smallest P&S cameras might work. Most such pouches are designed with a loop for a horizontal belt, but if they have a secure closure, they could be threaded on a camera strap at 90º. I used to have a camera strap that had elastic loops built in for 35mm canisters, but it struck me as not too secure for traipsing around the woods and fields.

7. bblhed

bblhed Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  8. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I see them sometimes in the rummage bins in camera stores (we actually still have some of those around).

9. WalterE54

WalterE54 Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Thanks-guess I will search around for used ones!

10. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a 35mm one with the zipper you can have for the cost of shipping-about $2.
    PM me if you want it.

11. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "On strap film canister"