I got a bogus apug email today so watch out

Discussion in 'APUG System Announcements' started by Sean, Feb 18, 2005.

1. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member Admin

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This mail came in to me spoofing the apug.org name. Here is a copy, if you get anything like this especially asking you to open an attachment do not do it, just delete the message. Thanks, Sean

2. David H. Bebbington

David H. Bebbington Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If these people ever learn to write grammatical English, we'll really be in trouble!

3. Nige

Nige Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've betting different ones from 'apug' addresses. Have deleted them so can't say what the content has been but it wasn't that elaborate. However, if they can predict "will be disabled because of improper using in next three days" can they also let me know the lotto numbers for tomorrow night :smile:

4. Flotsam

Flotsam Member

I've never trusted all those guys on the "Apug.org team" anyway.

5. Tom Stanworth

Tom Stanworth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The tomfoolery of these silly nincompoops from far flung places should be treated with utter contempt. I have had several emails of the " I am an African president. Can you help me take $47 million out of the country....I only need you bank details". On every occassion I engage them with convoluted sentences, complex grammar and complete bamboozlement whilst appearing interested. I prefer to take on the role of a 19 century Englishment with nothing but contempt for the dillydallying of the natives. It takes days for them to cotton on, during which time they spend hours at their computers (and dictionaries) otherwise unable to con others. I love it and was inspired by a site I saw from a chap who regularly spun these shits out with 3 months of emailing and seriously messing them about...always dangling carrots. In this case, what do you think it was all about. Malicious software?

Tom

6. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Hi Sean

I got a somewhat similar email with the same message from my companys management team. and I thought I was the chief bottle washer around this place.

7. eclarke

eclarke Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I got am email from my own company to me also, it is my company!!..Evan Clarke

8. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

I got one a couple days ago. Allegedly from the MEF in Iraq. They've found Sadam's millions and need a little help. I didn't go to the trouble of trying to figure out the location but it sounded like a native english speaker.

Then I got one yesterday offering me great deals on cheap Chinese drugs and software. That one came from Dallas. Never knew Shanghai was in Texas before. :rolleyes:

9. lee

lee Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    you caught me lol

just kidding

lee\c

10. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It was probably a trojan that would open your computer up to either crackers or to be used for spreading spam. They put the trojan inside a password protected Zip file so that your anti-virus software can't scan inside the Zip file.

Cheers, Bob.