I got a new toy, 7"x17"

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by mikewhi, Jul 17, 2005.

1. mikewhi

mikewhi Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I just picked this up on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7529566252&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1

It's the 7x17 adapter back for a Canham 8x10 with 1 holder and a focusing hood. It looks pretty darn nice, mint condition. 36-inch bellows draw. I'm looking forward to moving up into ULF. I ordered some 7x17 film (EFKE PL100) from JandC today, too.

The Canham 8x10 is amazing. With this camera I can now shoot: 4x5, 5x7, 4x10, 8x10, 7x17.

If anyone has any 7x17 images in your gallery, please let me know.

-Mike

2. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    purdy!

3. mikewhi

mikewhi Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I forgot to mention that the holder is an AWB! The back retails for $3500 and the holder $450, so I basically got the package in mint condition for under 50%. I was amazed that I got it. I thought for sure I'd sniped at the last second, the other bidder was only about $110 below my max bid.

I'm selling a lens for my SL66 that should get back what I paid for this item.

-Mike

4. Jorge

Jorge Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Good for you! Nice.... :smile:

5. janvanhove

janvanhove Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Congratulations on the new toy !

May you catch the ULF bug for good ! :smile:

PJ

6. philldresser

philldresser Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mike

Very nice. You can give scootermm a run for his money now.

I assume and hope you already have the Canham 8x10 as the auction item states:

NOTE: Some photos show the camera front and body. These are not included. This auction is ONLY for 7x17 back and rear standard.

Phill

7. medform-norm

medform-norm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kerik has plenty of 7x17's on his website. Don't remember the URL, but it's worth finding it out. They're awesome.

Congrats, BTW!

8. philldresser

philldresser Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That would be Kerik

Phill

9. mark

mark Member

Scootermm has some in this here APUG gallery

I don't know why I am telling you this. I am so envious it hurts. 717 is my dream format. Plenty big enough to contact, intimate enough to hold in your hand. Ahhh well, I'll win the lottery someday.

10. Kerik

Kerik Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Mike,

Congrats on the new setup. I used 7x17 almost exclusively from 1992 - 2000 and loved it. I don't use it much anymore, though - mostly 14x17 and 12x20 now.

Clay Harmon is another APUGGER who does some great work with 7x17. He also has a Canham. I know he's been working on a website, but I don't think it's live yet.

Have fun with it!

Kerik
    www.kerik.com

ps Norm, thanks for the kind words.

11. Alex Hawley

Alex Hawley Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Congratulations Mike. It looks very exciting.

12. mikewhi

mikewhi Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Hi Kerik:

I visited your site and saw your 7x17 images. Very elegant. Looking at your 12x20 work, I am beginning to think that this an ideal ULF format - the proportions have a great look and feel. That may be my next stop in ULF, possibly pasuing briefely at 16x20.

Thanks.

-Mike

13. scootermm

scootermm Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Mike congrats on the new acquisition.

Ive been really loving working with mine for the last few months. very eye opening and each and every negative and print solidifies my love of the format.

Ill also second (or is it third) the sentiment of Kerik's gorgeous 7x17 images. very inspiring.

Im fairly new to the format but if I can help at all dont hesitate to PM or email me.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. sanking

sanking Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    7X17 is a beautiful format, yet quite easy to work in comparison to 8X20 and 12X20. In fact, I find it about as easy to port and use as an 8X10 (my 7X17 is a Canham). 8X20 and 12X20 on the other hand require much more effort. You might want to follow Kerik's lead and visit with the 7X17 a while.

Sandy

16. Steve Sherman

Steve Sherman Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
  17. User Removed

User Removed Guest

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Man oh man! I dont see how some of you guys can afford this very expensive camera stuff! I would absolutly LOVE to shoot something larger then my 8x10 one day. I have two 8x10 cameras, a Calumet which cost about 200, and a Bender which was about 200....both of them I had to save like crazy to purchase.

If anyone is interested in contributing to the "Ryan McIntosh would like to shoot ULF" Foundation, please visit my Ebay Gallery under the name "XContactPrintsX". Selling my 8x10 AZO and platinum contact prints is my only income now, so I guess I need to start saving more to afford a fancy camera like that!

Best of luck with it! I cannot wait to see your first images!

Ryan McIntosh
    http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZxcontactprintsxQQhtZ-1

18. mikewhi

mikewhi Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I got the 7x17 back today and it is awesome. Mint condition and very big. It came with 1 AWB holder and the seller surprised me with an unopened box of HP5. I am buying 3 other holders from him at holf price, too. So I am all set in the 7x17 area for a while. I got a box of EFKE PL100 from JandC in the other day, too.

Thanks for everyones' feedback and pointers to images. I hope to have some of my own up in the next few months.

I believe my Schneider Symmar-S 480mm will cover this as well as my 24cm Dagor.

-Mike

19. philldresser

philldresser Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mike

OK, OK you can stop it now as I am totally jealous (I am sure I am not the only one), but please post some results when you get it all operational and good Luck/Light

Phill

20. colrehogan

colrehogan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    Looking forward to seeing your work with it, Mike.

21. medform-norm

medform-norm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Steve,

I poked my head in there as well, your site I mean. Very smooth tonalities. Say, what lens/film/developer/paper combo are you using? And are you using the Zone system? Or just an ordinary meter?

But, hey, if you don't want to part with your secrets, that's fine by me too.

Cheers,
    Me-fo-no

22. Steve Sherman

Steve Sherman Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    7x17 toy

No secrets here!

I use J&C Classic 200 rated at 125 and developed in Pyrocat HD (Thanks Sandy) using Semi-Stand development technique. Check the forums, in particular the Azo Forum for more specfics on that wonderful little development trick.

Smooth Tonalities??? I firmly believe this is a result of exposing film in soft light and controlling negative contrast with a form of Stand Development in conjunction with reciprocity effects and good printing.

23. mikewhi

mikewhi Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Can anyone tell me how they scan 7x17 prints for uploading to APUG? My scanner isn't that big (no ULF scanner<g>). I can only think of taking a picture of a print with my d* camera and uploading that.

-Mike

24. Donsta

Donsta Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Stitch the scans - very simple. Canon give away a great little free stictching program with their digicams called photostitch - works a treat.

25. colivet

colivet Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Steve, I looked at your website and was quite amazed by your work. I have dedicated about 4 years to large format, exclusively printing in AZO and have yet to see color like that on your prints. I believe you when you say that the tonalities are no secret because you shoot in soft light, but the print color, uhhmm... Do you increase you KBr a lot or do you use a brown toner or a light sepia toner with bleach?
    Just curious! Great work!

Christian

26. Steve Sherman

Steve Sherman Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Christain,

I do strive to produce the color you see on my web site in my work. However, the images you see on my web site have a colorized layer for web reproduction to try to replicate the orginal feel.

I always used Portriga Rapid in my silver work and have tried to replicate that color with Azo, no easy task by the way.

Since meetng Michael Mutamnsky and seeing his demo on gum bichromate over palladium I will try my hand at the heavy metal processes, always striving to maintain the warm tones.

Michael and Paula's Amidol formula is the best starting point I have found to move Azo to the warm side but still needs more teaking in my opinion.

Good Luck, Steve