i got given 3 film cameras

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by cyberspider, Mar 11, 2010.

1. cyberspider

cyberspider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    hi all im new found this forum after watching a youtube vid
    well as i say i was given 3 film slr cameras
    pentax p30T
    canon ESO 1000f
    minolta x700

iv always thought about using film but the speed of "other" camera tech was always the draw

but after my "other" gave up the job i turnd to my film cameras
    and plus i found the cost of a equivalent to a film camera WAY to pricey even used

so i have started to use my old film cameras and i must say the tones and detail is amazing

im a beginner really still mucking up alot :D
    the two photos was taken freehand with the pentax i have a tripod now
    a cullmann 2921 also given to me :D
    always looking for advice
    oh and i live in the uk wales "but im not welsh"

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2010
  2. Denis R

Denis R Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  3. Ralph Javins

Ralph Javins Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good morning, CyberSpider;

First, welcome to APUG. You will find an interesting collection of knowledgeable people here who share a common passion for film and the cameras that use it. And, APUG is one of the fastest growing special interest groups on the Internet. We are now rapidly approaching 40,000 participants, and it was just early last year that APUG hit 30,000. 10,000 people in one year!

Second, from me and my particular point of view, congratulations on being the owner of a Minolta X-700. While I do have many Minolta cameras, the X-700 with the MD-1 Motor Drive is a camera that just seems to fit my hand. I like that camera. And, the Minolta X-700 System is a camera system that will allow you do do virtually anything you want do do photographically with film, from microphotography to astrophotography.

4. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Howdy, and welcome to APUG. Stick to the manual cameras, and do not rely on the auto functions of any camera. This is a great place to learn, so ask many questions, and reap many answers.

Rick

5. cyberspider

cyberspider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    thank you for the links i cant seem to get the last one to load though

and Ralph Javins i have been looking for a motordrive but as yet no luck not so easy to find the bits here in the uk
    i have put two rolls of film through the x700 and i must say it dose feel good in the hand

i need to get other stuff too like a flash im mostly interested in wildlife and landscape photography

6. Denis R

Denis R Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    more

the last link is for a PDF, for part 2, change 1 for 2 in the link, may need to do a save file as...

the main page link is http://ca.konicaminolta.com/support/manuals/film-cameras/film_mf_slr/

since the minolta works fine in A mode, it is a great companion for architecture, landscape, and wildlife, lets you control the DOF

I suggest you sell the canon and pentax to afford the 200x or 280x flash, or some other MINOLTA flash and film....

ROKKOR lenses are hard to beat, both MC and MD

The motor winder is not necessary, but is a nice option

the leader may need to be cut down in height to load properly

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2010
  7. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello CyberSpider, I hope you enjoy APUG. A motordrive is nice, but you could live without though.

Jeff

8. cyberspider

cyberspider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    im guessing from all the posts that the minolta is a good camera i have not had the film i took developed yet

9. Denis R

Denis R Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    minolta good

the x700 was the LAST MANUAL focus minolta

just got back from art show, had the minolta with 45mm f2, power winder, and flash hanging on the neckstrap for a while, mostly because someone else had their d!g!tal nikon with 18 - 55mm f4.5-5.6 and flash popped up hanging from her neck, the flash didn't go off ever

I actually used the flash for 2 pictures, then took it off, and proceded to take more pictures, also used the 28mm f2.8

also used nikon N75 and D60 to take similar images with 50mm f1.8

10. jamesgignac

jamesgignac Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey there CS, welcome to APUG - I joined this place about a year and a half ago and feel very much the wiser for it - it's a pretty clever(/rowdy) group and you'll find that reading through countless threads and picking up on particular commentators and opinions is as much enjoyable as it is intellectually fulfilling.

Firstly I recommend working with what you have - you'll probably be tempted to start picking up seemingly 'essential' pieces to your camera (toy) collection but be warned that you just end up dividing your time and attention from looking through lenses. Anyhow you'll have enough to think about when you start processing film & printing (assuming you don't do so already.)

Best of luck!!

11. cyberspider

cyberspider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    i have to send off my film to be developed i dont do it my self would not know where to start plus cost

12. jamesgignac

jamesgignac Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    CS, well if you're ever interested it's a great step to take - at least developing your own film - you could then buy a film scanner if you didn't want to get into printing (excuse the hybrid-process/grey area mention?) - scanners for 35mm film can be picked pretty inexpensively.

Keep playing around with it as long as it holds your attention - the pictures and techniques only improve with time & practice - I, for one, have a long way to go :smile:

13. Denis R

Denis R Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  14. Sponsored Ad
  15. cyberspider

cyberspider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    i like the detail that film gives me to kinda get the same with the "other" format it would cost £5000. give or take

i would like to try and develop my own film

16. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello CyberSpider,
    Developing and printing is at least half the fun of photography. Try it, you will like it. Lots of help from APUG members.

17. cyberspider

cyberspider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    well i have looking at the prices of enlargers and so on
    hmm i may have to keep sending my stuff off there not cheap

18. GeoffHill

GeoffHill Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  19. cyberspider

cyberspider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    thanks for the link very interesting im looking for an enlarger now lol

20. Ralph Javins

Ralph Javins Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good morning, CyberSpider;

Several others have mentioned that the Minolta MD-1 Motor Drive "is not necessary." They are correct; it is not truly necessary for the normal operation of the Minolta X-700. My preference for using the MD-1 with the X-700 is because it makes it so much easier to carry in my right hand, it gives it a little more weight for greater stability, and the MD-1 shutter release button is right there where my finger expects to find it. That is why I say that "it just fits my hand." I have large hands and the combination has perfect ergonomics for me. The convenience of the MD-1 advancing the film for me is a very nice extra feature, and it allows me to keep the camera up to my face for the next shot.

Denis spoke of the X-700 being the last manual focusing Minolta camera. While production of the X-700 did begin in Japan in about 1981, it was next moved to Southeast Asia (Indonesia or Vietnam?), and then on to China where it was still in production until 2001. That is a remarkable 20 year run for a film camera; a rarity in recent modern photographic time for a 35mm camera. That must say something about how the X-700 was accepted and used by photographers. Then again, the argus C3 was in production for 25 years from 1939 to 1964 in Ann Arbor, Michigan. What comparison can we make with the modern digital cameras where there seems to be a continuous stream of "new models" with "more features" that we never knew that we needed?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2010
  21. dynachrome

dynachrome Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I now have five X-700s. When an X-700 is working properly it's a very pleasant camera to use. It's not too light or too heavy. The finder is very bright, it has interchangeable focusing screens, it has TTL flash capability with the Minolta PX flash units, the Sunpak 555 and possible some Nissin units, the meter is sensitive and accurate. The X-700 has two weak points. There is a diode or capacitor of some kind which has a limited lifespan. The part is inexpensive but having it installed has a cost. I have been told that the strings which pull the shutter curtains are made of cotton. One of my X-700s has a problem with about a third of the frame being dark when shooting with flash. The curtains are durable but the strings pulling them probably need to be replaced.

22. cyberspider

cyberspider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    i would like to get a minolta 700si

23. Wade D

Wade D Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have 2 X-700's. Both needed the capacitor replaced which I did myself. Now they work like new. The capacitors are cheap (Micro-Tools has them) and you just remove the bottom plate and solder the new one in. Very simple. You'll know when the capacitor goes bad when the shutter won't fire but the meter still lights up. Film wind also locks up. I've used the X-700's since the early 80's and still love them.

24. unclemack

unclemack Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Medium & large format enlarger prices haven't fallen as much as 35mm.
    There are probably half a dozen 35mm. enlargers and everything else you would need in the lofts of houses in just your street!
    Maybe try a "wanted - cheap!" ad. in your local newsagent?
    Tell charity shops and those people who clear houses for a living what you're looking for and maybe you'll get lucky again?
    Never heard of the Welsh giving stuff away to the Notails before...:D

25. Cliffy13

Cliffy13 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I think that using film having got used to digital is similar as using medium or large format as opposed to an autofocus 35mm SLR in that you slow down,I have found since returning to using film alongside digital that I take more time checking composition and metering that I do with the DSLR.As a result I rarely have any cropping to do when I scan my films in because I have taken time at the shooting stage

26. zeta3

zeta3 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What are the lenses like for the Minolta? How do they compare for contrast/acuity/resolution against say Olympus OM or Canon FD ... or the holy grail Leica M? I ask because I have acquired an XG9 (maybe a 7?) with the 55/1.7 and a 28/2.8. I love the field of view of the 55 and much prefer it to a standard 50. I have a roll in it at the moment but it will be a few weeks before I finish that. So far in handling, I like it. It feels comfortable in my hand and isnt complicated.

Sorry to hijack the thread but it seemed more "friendly" than starting a new one on a similar topic.