I Have a Pentax Spotmeter 1/21 looking at something newer....MAYBE!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by Shaggysk8, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Shaggysk8

Shaggysk8 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hello,

Ok I have a Pentax Spotmeter 1/21 I got it cheep and it works but for low light its about 2 stops off and is also very big, I love using a spotmeter I only shoot roll film but it all works for me so I want to stay with a spotmeter.

So my question what should I do, is there something smaller, stick with what I have or can the low light senser be sorted in some way?

Paul

2. williamtheis

williamtheis Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    they of course can be repaired. if this is the analogue one (has a needle running on a scale rather than a digital readout), you are right. it's a bit large. if you can find a pentax digital, they are much smaller ...

3. jon falth

jon falth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I tired of the 'old meter' route after spending good money on old 'stuff'.

I should have got my sekonic l-758dr right away and saved money, time and frustration.

Bought it and have never looked back.

4. Shaggysk8

Shaggysk8 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    My spotmeter cost me £30 so not to much spent, Sekonic seems to be the way most people go, do they do just a spotmeter not an all in everything one

5. Shaggysk8

Shaggysk8 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    PS I really like the dial on the pentax, or do you think I can do with out it?

6. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Sekonic does not have a dedicated spot meter. The combination meters they make, however, are very good and will take care of any situation you need.

7. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would buy a second hand camera, I bought all my cameras second hand, but I wouldn't buy a second hand light meter, it's too important to me to take chances.

8. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Do you need a spot meter? Have you looked at the Gossen Digisix and Digiflash? They are very small and light.

9. Shaggysk8

Shaggysk8 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Well I like using a spot meter even for roll film I can judge where everything comes out I don't use the full zone system but I use what I can.

Sounds like a Sekonic is a good all in one

10. Jon Shiu

Jon Shiu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    I like the Pentax digital spotmeter with a zone system sticker on it. Very quick and easy and intuitive to use.

Jon

11. mikebarger

mikebarger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have both a Zone VI modified Pentax V and a non modified digital. I ALWAYS pick up the analog meter.

Mike

12. Shaggysk8

Shaggysk8 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Ok then mike I have the older pentax 1/21 should I get it fixed, also why do you always go for the older one?

13. SWphoto

SWphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just bought a Pentax Digital (used) and did so because I wanted something which did one thing well- measure light. I still have my Sekonic L-558, but it was a PITA to use with all the bells and whistles. If you don't mind carrying the owners' manual and consulting it to figure it out, a Sekonic is fine- think of it as the metering equivalent of a sophisticated DSLR in terms of menus. I wanted to take a reading quickly and take the picture, not try to remember which menu to be using, what the numbers indicated, which button to push, etc. The Pentax does its job well. YMMV.

14. munz6869

munz6869 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I've read stuff about the annoying bells & whistles of the fancier Sekonics, but after using my L-758 for a couple of months now, I haven't found that at all - it's really simple and intuitive and I (to my surprise) think I am metering better because of it. I'm not sure that I'd buy the $$$ profile thingy for it and go down that road, but it is a great spot and incident meter. The dual ISO thing alone is handy when you're shooting two different emulsions (often colour 160 and TXP 320 for me). I've stopped using my Luna Pro, which I absolutely loved.

Marc

15. largeformat pat

largeformat pat Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Hi,
    I've got a sekonic L 358 best things since canned beer. Spot attachment and remote sensor. Groovy stuff

16. mikebarger

mikebarger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like the analog scale, I can see the scale better and moving the meter around the scene it is easy to see the range.

I don't know anything about the 1/21, so can't advise if it is worth fixing or not.

Mike

17. Shaggysk8

Shaggysk8 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    how about a Soligor Spotmeter?

18. mikebarger

mikebarger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd be a little cautious with the Soligor spot. Fred Picker indicated they sent more back than they kept to modify due to poor QA.

Mike