I just bought another box of Kodak Tri-X 320TXP !

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by BradS, Jan 14, 2008.

1. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    and another bottle of HC-110 to go with it!

Whoopty-freaking-do!!!!!

I'm seriously considering switching from Provia to E-100G too. I just wish it was available in 5x7!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2008
  2. noblebeast

noblebeast Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sorry, but your post is incomplete. You are supposed to go on to say how this means you will NOT be supporting some other company that has done you some sort of perceived ill or wronged you in a horrible, I'm-takin'-this-personally kind of way.

Do better next time! :wink:
    Joe

3. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I love the Tri-X and will use it forever if I can. That and Ilford FP4 are my two mainstay films.

Brad, if you're handy with a cutter, you get two 5x7 sheets from one 8x10... I haven't seen much transparency film in 5x7. Seems like it's a b&w kind of format.

- Thomas

4. 23mjm

23mjm Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Congrats BradS

Hey just to let everyone know about new purchases I got a new small camera bag for my C330 and some lense cleaner!!!!!!!!!!

5. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just returned from my favorite camera shop where I put some $$ down on a Nikon 50mm AF 1.8.
    "Supporting my local camera dealer"

6. Uhner

Uhner Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "I just bought another box of Kodak Tri-X 320TXP"

Good man.

7. jgjbowen

jgjbowen Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hey Brad,

I had the exact same thoughts after reading the "I switched chemicals" thread

8. Phillip P. Dimor

Phillip P. Dimor Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    That's awesome. I wish I could get to like HC-110. I'm probably doing something wrong. Mixing it straight from the concentrate, is that okay?
    It's sticky and messy, like maple syrup. I have a few lab pipettes and none can pull this stuff. Didn't mean to jack your thread, but how do you use HC-110? :smile:

9. jgjbowen

jgjbowen Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    HC-110

Phillip,

I use Dilution B mixed from concentrate. That is one ounce syrup to 31 ounces water. I start with about 16 ounces of water, then measure 1 ounce of HC-110 syrup using a tall Paterson graduate. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/40134-REG/Paterson_PAT301_Plastic_Graduate_1_5oz_45ml_.html

I pour the syrup into the water, then fill the graduate with water 6-8 times until all the syrup is out of the graduate and mixed with the water. Fill the quart graduate to 32 ounces, stir and develop film.

Works like a charm,

10. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

HC-110, good stuff, all-purpose dev. Yes, mix it straight from the bottle. I use a syringe from the drug store. It will pull it up for you and is great for using small amounts of devs like HC-100, Rodinal or Pyrocat.

I can't say whether you're doing something wrong or not. Some devs just don't click with some people. It can sometimes take several rolls before you hit it.

See also http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/hc110/
    http://www.mironchuk.com/hc-110.html

11. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Hey, watch your language! There may be women & children here! :wink:

12. Larry.Manuel

Larry.Manuel Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes, plastic syringe for HC-110 syrup.

HC-110 syrup is really gooey, and it's OK with the syringe approach. That method is tidy and not wasteful.

As mentioned, some don't have stellar developing results with it. I'm still trying, but not convinced it's for me and HP5+ in the long run. I've never duplicated my consistently satisfying results with Rodinal 1+50 for Delta 100 and FP4+. Maybe DD-X for HP5+.

13. Konical

Konical Subscriber

Good Evening,

As Larry indicates, HC-110 concentrate is somewhat viscous. To me, however, it's not thick enough to cause any difficulty. I have mixed as little as 8 ounces of solution (1/4 ounce of concentrate for dilution B) with no problem whatsoever. I use exactly the approach described above by John Bowen. My graduate is a small plastic (Jobo?) which holds a maximum of less than an ounce. I also have some small measuring glasses I found in the housewares department at Wal-Mart. Except for being marked, they look like shot glasses and hold about an ounce. I've found them to be easily precise enough for measuring HC-110 and other concentrates such as T-Max, but I'll concede that they might be a bit tricky to use with a 1:100 Rodinal solution, at least for only a roll or two of 35mm. With HC-110 it's worth a little effort to work out a consistent method of mixing directly from concentrate, unless you process quite a bit of film and do it regularly.

Konical