I just got a Series D Graflex!

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Shangheye, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Shangheye

Shangheye Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just got my Graflex Series D through the post and it's a monster! I love it....and I am feeling more endowed! Everything seems to be working fine, and I will be putting film through it this weekend.

On a more serious note, I am intending to use this camera for a project in India next January. It is dry season there, but it will be humid. Is that good for this camera? It is wood, and I have no idea how well they have been made for those kind of conditions. I don't intend to get it wet in the rain, but if I am taking it indoors and then out...?

I read somewhere that in the WWII in the far east, they used to rot within months.

Would appreciate advice on whether it is a good idea and if there are ways of protecting it.

Thanks for any advice.

Rgds, Kal

2. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kal, Send it to me immediately. I will take care of it and keep it in the low humidity environment of Southern California.

Steve

3. Shangheye

Shangheye Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    :tongue:

4. Brian Bullen

Brian Bullen Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Kal, What is the weight of your series D? It's a 4x5 right?

5. Shangheye

Shangheye Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Brian, It is a 4x5 and I am guessing around 2-3kg with my lens and the 12 shot Bag mag on (say 7lbs). It doesn't seem that heavy over short periods of time (My Bronica with Metering prism and speed handle and 150mm is not that much lighter), but you feel it if you walk around a while LOL!! They have carrying handles (no strap), but I don't trust the leather on the handle after 80 years!...so I cradle it in my arm. Hope that helps...K

PS some people replace the handles, but I am trying to keep mine as original as possible.

6. Brian Bullen

Brian Bullen Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Kal, thanks a lot for the info! I've really been enjoying your photos from this camera in the gallery, keep up the good work. :smile:

7. tessar

tessar Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Kal,
    As far as humidity goes, I'd look for a large picnic or beer-can bag (the kind that's insulated and padded) and then get a bunch of silica gel bags. the larger the better. Put the camera and film holders and film in the bag and then spread the gel bags around them. When the gel bags get humid (the gel particles usually change color) they can be dried out by heating them. I imagine the sun in India would do a good fast job.

8. Bosaiya

Bosaiya Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format