I just made a really cool 35mm experimental camera mod!

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Sean, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member Admin

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had been experimenting with cheap plastic lens 35mm cameras and liked the single lens element look a lot. I've now taken it a step further. I bought a slr with a 35-70 zoom (just a used cheap ricoh off an auction site). I then completely gutted the lens barrel out, but left the focusing part near the front in tact without glass. I then stripped a 4x Calumet photographic loupe down to it's single glass element which was attached to a 1.5inch tube around it. The tube (with a little sanding) fit PERFECTLY inside the top part of the lens barrel focusing mechanism within the barrel. When it's all mounted I have a single element slr with a great focusing range and a lightproof lens mount. The center area looks very sharp and then focus gradually falls off nearing the edges. It also gives that characteristic look with a single element (the one that makes life size objects look like small models). Can't wait to run a test roll through it. I'll post pics of the mod soon. I've seen some similar mods using rubber and glue, but this one is perfect without using a major contraption (I can even place filters on the front of the barrel). Oh, and it was a lot of fun building it :smile:

2. Nige

Nige Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    looking forward to seeing the results. I did something similar (although not as radical) when attempting to clean an old 135mm Nikkor-Q. I removed some elements and it focused over a very limited range, about a headshot. Took a pic of my wife, have scanned it but never printed so don't really know whether it was worth pursuing. Will upload the pic.

3. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member Admin

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ok, here are the pics of my mod :smile:

[​IMG]

4. L Gebhardt

L Gebhardt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    When you get some I'd like to see the final images.