I just 'won' a Sears TLS

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by lorirfrommontana, Aug 1, 2009.

1. lorirfrommontana

lorirfrommontana Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I just got a Sears TLS with Sears Lens 135 mm f:2.8 Sears Lens 28 mm 1:28 Sears Lens 50 mm 1:1.7, and a flash for my youngest daughter. It was sort of a spur of the moment purchase as I was frustrated at not having a camera for 2 days!!! I figured a camera with a different lens system than my Nikon might be a good idea as I really get frustrated not having my equipment when I want it. The camera kit cost $40 (plus $12.00 s/h). Hope I didn't get taken! I usually research a purchase but I just saw it and bought! If anyone has any ideas of problems to look for with this camera I'd be appreciative! Thanks
    -Lori

2. johnnywalker

johnnywalker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I guess you'll find out when it arrives! If it works, I don't see how you can go wrong at that price. I don't know the camera, but I assume it was made for Sears by some reputable camera maker. Does it have a light meter?

3. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is that M42 or K mount.

I forget who made those but I think it would be either Ricoh or Mamiya. Either way much better then the Sears name might suggest. The short lens is the only potential weak link the rest should be more then fine.

4. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It should have a meter but may need a mercury battery in any case still a good deal.

5. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Made by Ricoh.Good,solid shooter.Pick yourself up a pack of hearing aid batteries (#675 zinc air).You might need a spacer to add width to the battery.I use small rubber washers from a hardware shop.

6. lorirfrommontana

lorirfrommontana Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Cool, Thanks! Jane is pretty excited to be getting her own camera. I'll be happy to have mine back! She has to pay me back from her fair earnings so I was hoping it would be good for her. Lori

7. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice gift at a nice price! Even if it is lousy (which is probably is not), she will certainly be able to learn everything she needs to learn, and more, using it. Then if she sticks with it, maybe she will outgrow it. At any rate, it will be a good first camera. My first camera had only one lens and didn't work at the fast shutter speeds, so I am sure it will be better than that!

8. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Enjoy it!

Steve

9. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm sure she will enjoy it. At that price you can't go wrong!

Jeff

10. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    What the others said. That group of Sears cameras was made by Ricoh. Who knows about the 135. Tell your daughter that Weegee's dictum was "F11 and bein' there." Any lens stopped down a couple of stops will give her totally acceptable results. And sometimes lenses can be real sleepers. Both of you have fun.

11. DBP

DBP Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good solid camera made by Ricoh. Stop down match needle metering. Probably will need new light seals.

12. lorirfrommontana

lorirfrommontana Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well, I just did the light seals on my other daughter's Nikon, so should be able to do another if needed! I really enjoyed working on the camera. Felt accomplished when it was done!
    Lori

13. Paul Sorensen

Paul Sorensen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Since it is apparently screw mount, there are lots of inexpensive possibilities should the body start having problems. Seems if the lenses are at least not horrible, it is a great purchase.

14. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think they may have been K mount; whether K or 42 screw, lots of lens choices. If I recall correctly (never a given), the camera had a copal metal shutter.

15. Paul Sorensen

Paul Sorensen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I actually just googled it before posting, and the one page that I did look at stated M42. Now, I do not know that the particular page I saw was accurate, however. http://www.mattdentonphoto.com/cameras/sears-ricoh_tls.html

16. lorirfrommontana

lorirfrommontana Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    That looks like the camera except the one I purchased is the chrome version.

17. glockman99

glockman99 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I also have one of those Sears/Ricoh TLS cameras (black, with Sears 50mm f/1.4 lens), and you are going to be suprised in just how heavy the camera is.

18. Gnomad

Gnomad Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My first SLR was (and still is) a Sears 1000MXB, M42 mount, I believe the Mamiya version. Still works fine after 33 years, the meter is still working if I bother to put a battery in it. Usually I sunny 16 it and get good results. Mine came with the 1.4 lens, it's the black body. A lot of film has gone through that camera and it should well for any beginning photographer.

19. lorirfrommontana

lorirfrommontana Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Funny, I copied off a description of Sunny 16 for my daughter when she was running around with my camera. She nabbed it and said, " Why didn't you give this to me before?" Back off out the door she went. She dosn't like the light meter on my camera (yet). I did tell her they come in handy!
    !

20. lorirfrommontana

lorirfrommontana Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Got the camera today. Looks fantastic and the lenses seem really nice. There is a little dust but not bad. I'll run a roll through it tomorrow at the fair. Thanks for all your advice! Lori

21. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Billings or Glasgow? Have a great time there, our fairs don't start until Sept. BTW the camera sound great especially since you got three lenses with it and a flash. Can't beat that one.

22. lorirfrommontana

lorirfrommontana Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Fair was in Billings. It was a good week but long and tiering. Jane got a Best of Class for one of her photos that she developed in the darkroom! It wasn't even in the darkroom class. Today was the sale. She had to sell her hog and that was hard. We won't do that one again. They just get too attached to the animals! She's going to drop a lot next year. She's just doing Photography, rabbits, cavy, archery and ceramics next year. I wandered around the fairgrounds taking pictures with Jane's new camera (no batteries yet so just used sunny 16) before the gates opened. It is so relaxing before all the people show up! I love the camera. Jane had to remind me several times that it was hers!