I know I'm just dreaming, but... F5 or F6?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by EASmithV, Jan 30, 2010.

Which one would you choose, if economics were ignored?

1. F5

11 vote(s)
    20.8%
  2. F6

42 vote(s)
    79.2%
  1. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, I've read countless articles. I'm hoping for your feedback, personal stories, etc, etc here. I'm looking for a camera that may replace much of what I do with a DSLR for my own personal stuff, and If I'm going to dream, I'll pull all the stops... I'll also include a poll.

So, if the price were identical, and availability of just the camera were the same, which would you choose and why?

2. Leighgion

Leighgion Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    This gets pretty personal. Both have plenty of awesome and the F6 doesn't win just because it's newer.

For me though, it'd ultimately be the F6.

The F5 integrates the vertical grip, so it can't be shrunken down. The F6 does not, so it's a more compact package which is important to me even in my sturdy cameras. Battery grip is optional on the F6.

The F6 is the only Nikon film camera to have full support for iTTL and Nikon CLS flash control, providing you the stick the right flash on it. This would allow me to work with my Nikon speedlights on an F6 exactly the same way as I do on my DSLRs.

That... is kinda it really. It's the little things that tip the scales sometimes.

3. HerrBremerhaven

HerrBremerhaven Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nikon F4S

4. Pinholemaster

Pinholemaster Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I got rid of my F5 for the F100 to save weight. So for me the F6 is a perfect replacement for the F100. Plus it works with all the latest TTL strobes.

5. Allen Friday

Allen Friday Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    F100.

6. RMP-NikonPro

RMP-NikonPro Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Me too!!

7. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What he said.

I already bought mine. :D

8. Uncle Bill

Uncle Bill Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    F6, go with the latest and greatest.

9. rthomas

rthomas Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've owned the N90s, F4 and F100, and if the choice was between those three it would be the F100. But, the choice here is F5 or F6.

I would go with the F6 for the up-to-date flash system and the optional vertical grip. Unlike the F5, the F6 can use manual-focus lenses with matrix metering. Also, when using the vertical grip, it can take the same EN-EL4 batteries I want to move to for my D300's vertical grip. Having the same batteries for both 35mm and digital cameras would be great.

10. André E.C.

André E.C. Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Nikon F6 or F100, I have owned the F5 and F100, sold both as I wanna go electronic/battery free. The F5 is/was a wonderful camera, yet the unbelievable weight of the thing, threw me out and replaced it for the magnificent F100. Now, this F5 light is the best camera on the Nikon line-up price/fixtures wise, lovely construction (doesn't endure as much as the F5 tough) due to a metal alloy body with a nice rubber finish (except the back door wich is plastic), great ergonomics, nice AF system (at the time top, nowadays still perform) and an intuitive user interface.

I still miss that camera, was a very important machine to my photographic development, yet the quite similar (I mean costumizable size wise) F6 would be with no question my choice, it's the best electronic F ever made by Nikon.

No budget for the 6? Get the 100!:wink:

Good luck!

11. unclemack

unclemack Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Always preferred a heavier camera so it's the 5 for me every time. Only ever tried the 6 once, without the battery grip, but it felt like a "pro-sumer" model to me. Not sure it even deserves to be an F.
    Sorry to go against the flow!

12. Joe Grodis

Joe Grodis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have both F4 & F5..... The F4 is Nikons' sexiest SLR. The F5 is great but I don't really enjoy digging through the LCD menus.

13. brian steinberger

brian steinberger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    F100

14. narsuitus

narsuitus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I really prefer the F4 because it works well with all my lenses. However, if I had to choose between the F5 and F6, I would choose the F5 because I need the interchangeable view finder.

15. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    have you held either of them in your hands? Effin' heavy! Do you need anything more than what the F100 has?

16. Ade-oh

Ade-oh Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    In terms of results, you won't find much difference. I owned an F4 and bought an F5 new in 1998 which I still use as one of my two main 35mm film cameras. I can't fault it in any way except that the focus point display is not as good as the D200 I also own.

Here in the UK, a used F5 in near mint condition is available for about £250; an F6 is quite a bit more. Although I use the latest generation Nikon Speedlights with my digital SLR, these aren't necessary with the F5. I had a D100 with an SB(something or other) DX which was rubbish: a real step back from the F5/F100 flash. The SB-900/600/400 are great but they don't do a lot more than the SB-28 did for film. Personally, I own an SB-900, SB-600 and SB-400, but also 4 x SB-28's which I use for much of my digital flash photography. The Nikon lighting system is great but the extra automation doesn't add very much, IMHO.