I love the BBC but...

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by digiconvert, Jun 16, 2007.

1. digiconvert

digiconvert Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Anyone seen this page
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/6742087.stm ?

I'm just an amateur but how does this sort of thing affect jobbbing photojournalists etc. ? Given the conditions statement at the end i.e;

In contributing to BBC News you agree to grant us a royalty-free, non-exclusive licence to publish and otherwise use the material in any way that we want, and in any media worldwide..............It's important to note, however, that you still own the copyright to everything you contribute to BBC News and that if your image and/or video is accepted, we will endeavour to publish your name alongside it on the BBC News website. Please note that due to operational reasons this accreditation will probably not be possible with video. The BBC cannot guarantee that all pictures and/or video will be used and we reserve the right to edit your comments.

It could be seen as a way of encouraging talent OR a way of getting content on the cheap.

Any views ?

Cheers CJB

2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Auntie is notorious for this. If I recall aright, they only just (and grudgingly) added the bit about the author retaining copyright.

But EVERYONE does rights grabs these bays. Look at 99 per cent of web sites.

Cheers,

R.

3. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It’s just another of their periodic trawl for free pictures. The pity is that so many people fall for it.

4. Peter Black

Peter Black Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice camera at top right of the linked page though. :smile: