I need a changing bag - any recommendations?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Trask, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Trask

Trask Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I need to buy a new changing bag. From what I see, most are very similar, made in China or Taiwan, and cheap. (Except here in Paris, where Photopro wants $130 --- I'm not kidding --- for a changing bag that wouldn't go for more than $25 in the States.)

I know about Harrison bags, which are supposed to be very good. At over $80, they're also a bit steep.

Anyone have any specific recommendations beyond Harrison?

Thanks.

2. lenny

lenny Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Actually, the Harrison tent for 8x10 is $229. It's fantastic, the "bag" never comes down and touches the film, depositing little bits of dust... I have been so happy with this thing I can't imagine going back to a bag...

3. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Cotton, not nylon. The biggest you can find. Harrison if you can afford it, but don't worry if you can't. I've had two or three changing bags over the last 30+ years and nary a Harrison (or Lastolite, just as good) yet.

Cheers,

R.

4. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Find cheaper bags. There must be lower priced changing bags on the internet.

At $130 and $229, you can afford to loose the roll of film! :rolleyes:

Steve

5. fhovie

fhovie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    A bag for 4x5 is easy - did you mention what size??? I use a tent now for 8x10 made by chimera I think - not terribly easy to work with but it was really well priced and has a lot of room in it - I am sold on the ones with rods in them - it is difficult to manage dust in the limp bags.

6. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I purchase a Photoflex Changing room on ebay, like brand new, for about $22 including shipping. No instructions and a bit tricky to set up, really is nice when its up. Much better than my old (and rotting) changing bag. Since I had to replace it anyway, I thought I would upgrade.

I see this type at low prices on the auction site all the time, probably because of the learning curve needed for set up.

7. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have the Photoflex Changing Room Platinum Series and I wouldn't use anything else now. Good luck, Curt

8. Trask

Trask Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Thanks to one and all. That Photoflex bag looks nice -- anything that will stop the top cloth from falling onto my hands while trying to load a reel! I've been doing this since the 1960's, so I ought to be good to myself and by something nice.

I appreciate your suggestions.

9. Mooch Weasel

Mooch Weasel Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Get something that can 'breathe', I had a nasty nylon cheap bag with a plasicky coating on the inside. It destroyed 3 rolls of 120 film with the condesation build up before I scrapped it.

10. pschauss

pschauss Member

I use an 8x10x5" plastic food storage container inside of a generic changing bag. Before I start loading the developing tank, I put the tank, film, scissors, and openner into the container. The container serves to keep everything within reach in addition to supporting the bag.

11. patrickjames

patrickjames Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can second the Photoflex Changing Room. I was looking for the same thing a few months ago because with the traditional bags I always found it annoying to load/unload film. The Harrison bags are nice, but they cost three times the price of the Photoflex. I ended up getting the Photoflex and haven't looked back. Good luck.

Patrick

12. edebill

edebill Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks for mentioning this. Was the problem in hot weather or cold? I just got a Harrison pup tent, and was worrying about my hands sweating - despite being silver on the outside it felt like an oven inside. Of course, it was also 95F outside, so there was some reason for it.

13. Andrew Moxom

Andrew Moxom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    edebill, my Pup is the same way. Your hands generate a lot of heat, and these changing bags are good at keeping that heat in. Then you start to sweat, and the humidity goes up. I limit myself to 4 or 5 dark slides before I wrap everything back up and open the bag up to dry out. I've thought about using cotton darkroom gloves with the finger tips cut off as a way of minimizing how much dampness gets to the film, but never actually tried it.

14. Mooch Weasel

Mooch Weasel Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    edebill, I'm in the cold and damp uk, so it was about standard room temp - 68-70F.

It was quite a small bag which made matters worse and I think the stress of realising the film isn't going to go on the reel only adds to the problem!

I use and internal room now, until such time as I get my darkroom built.

15. Wyno

Wyno Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I recently bought an Harrison changing tent and it only cost me $179 American from Badger Graphics. I thought it was a very good deal. It is definitely much better than the flat changing bag I used to have.
    Mike

16. q2q@tds.net

q2q@tds.net Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Since you didn't mention size, but did mention cheap....
    Freestyle has a bag by Arista for $20 that I've been using for six months and have had no problems with (other than one zipper trying to grab the fabric if I'm not paying attention) with 35mm and 120.

17. John Shriver

John Shriver Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Right now, I use an big old cotton Burke and James REXO changing bag, and it's wonderful. Even with the rubber lining on the cotton cloth, the B&J is just nice. Bought used on eBay.

I started with one of the little Chinese nylon ones, and it is super nasty! Sweat city. Useless. I thought I had gotten incompetent loading film in my old age, then I realized this bag was junk compared to what I used as a teenager.

18. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    An alternative -- buy a cheap changing bag and then get a stiff sheet of plastic just a bit longer in length than the inside of the bag. Put the plastic in the bag and since it is bigger, it will arch up into a dome.

An instant "tent".

Vaughn

19. Metroman

Metroman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  20. Roger_Luo

Roger_Luo Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi Everyone!
    I am roger_luo, the guy selling anti-static 3 layers heavy duty cotton changing bags on eBay.
    Now I know why there is an influx of transactions recently. Metroman thank you for spreading the words of this little cottage business.
    Just to let you know, XL size bags is coming underway(75cmX75cm). Estimate available time around mid-August.
    An easy to store, easy to setup all cotton dark tent that can take up to 10X8 is also undergoing at the moment. Let me know if you would be interested.

21. fmajor

fmajor Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Roger

Yep, am interested and watching the auction site. The larger size looks pretty nice and am helping my wife shop for me. ;-)

I live in the US and would like to know shipping costs....

22. Roger_Luo

Roger_Luo Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi fmajor, the large size shipping to US will be £6 (around $12) as shown on eBay. (btw to EU will be £4.5)