I need help with linhof technika identity

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by bicycletricycle, May 24, 2006.

1. bicycletricycle

bicycletricycle Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I got a chance to buy a linhof technika (v?) 6x9, Ebay listing # 7620643402 and i want to make sure it is a V because i want to get new cams made for modern lenses and I understand it is easier for the V. Also the pictures look like it is painted and not covered in that leather stuff. Is that the way those were built? Any info would help, my secound chance offer runs out soon.

2. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    With that set of lenses, I find it difficult to understand the need for anything more "modern". 65mm Super Angulon, 100mm Xenotar, and 180mm(?) Tele-Arton are still "state-of-the-art"! You will not be able to see the difference between shots with these and with newer equivalents.

I don't know whether or not it's a V, though...

3. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am not sure as to which model. It may be a V. Be aware, it is a 2 1/4" x 3 1/14" and not the 4" x 5". I could identify the 4" x 5" models. Roger Hicks knows these cameras well and he should be of assistance.

Rich

4. bicycletricycle

bicycletricycle Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I just want to keep nmy options open.

I know these lenses are nice but i would like to be able to change them. Who is roger hicks? Also i want it because it is a 2x3

5. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Roger Hicks is new here at APUG. He is a well known and widely published editor of such magazines as Shutterbug. He is quite knowledgeable, has used many "baby" Technikas, and has published articles (including in Shutterbug Magazine) about these cameras.

Rich

6. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    That's a Tech V 23 (first version). I have the next version, the Tech V 23b which has the flap for additional rise with wide lenses.

7. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    David knows more than I because he has the camera in question. With the lenses (? and any backs) the camera might be OK at $1900 but I'd still be suspicious if it's painted. I've used mostly Tech IV and Tech 70 'babies' though I have a 5x7 Tech V. Bill Orford in the UK (Google him) can peen and re-cut existing cams on most cameras to suit different lenses -- or he might have spare cams.

Cheers,

Roger

8. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The early version of the Tech V 23 and the earlier 23b (including mine) are painted that tan color. I think that the Tech 70 also has this same basic chassis, with the top mounted rangefinder. The later version of the 23b, which is the current version, has the black leather panels.

That is a nice lens set. I'd say you can probably stick with them as a set of three cammed lenses, and then use any other lenses with groundglass focusing.