I own one rangefinder ...

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by David Brown, Oct 1, 2013.

1. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ... and there's no limit to the number of frames one can take with the lens cap on! :sad:

2nd from right. Fuji 645. Also notice that the films on either side of #2 have no missing frames ...

Attached Files:

• film.jpg
      film.jpg
      File size:
      255.1 KB
      Views:
  2. Dr Croubie

Dr Croubie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Does the Fuji have TTL Metering? That tends to get rid of most of my lenscap shots, but even that is still not infallible.
    Taking a shot indoors on Sunday, Bessa R3A and Nokton 40/1.4 wide open, TMax 400 and meter set to 800. It was dark indoors and the exposure-indicator was blinking '1' (meaning underexposure), but I clicked anyway. Only afterwards I thought "even that's too long" (I'd just been taking MF shots with Delta@3200 f/2.8 1/30s in a slightly better-lit room), so I checked and the lenscap was on...

3. ruby.monkey

ruby.monkey Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    This is why my lens caps always stay at home.

4. Lowly

Lowly Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ah, the lenscap shot. No matter how much I practice it, I always seem to need more.

Since I switched from my meterless Ms to the Zeiss Ikon, I have had a lot less lenscap shots because of the blinking display. Like Dr Croubie - still not infallible.

5. leicarfcam

leicarfcam Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Since I always shoot with a hood I've never photographed the inside of a lens cap.. Lens caps don't make good subjects..

6. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I toss the lens cap in my pocket and keep it there until I put my camera away. No lens cap shots this way, plus I dont loose them when the lens gets bumped. I hate having to chase after a dropped cap.

7. thegman

thegman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I rarely take a lens cap shot, but used to frequently take exquisite photos of my darkslide in a medium format back. I attached some red ribbon to the slide and now I never forget to remove it. Perhaps attaching something colourful to your lens cap is a way to remind you to remove it.

8. skysh4rk

skysh4rk Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    ^ this is key for me. The stock lens cap and hood for my GA645 can never be on at the same time, so by always using the hood, I ensure that I never see the inside of a lens cap.

I have some lens caps that would allow me to use the hood and cap at the same time, which would save a bit of fiddling, but I've never made the switch as I know I'd start getting blank frames.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

9. Dr Croubie

Dr Croubie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Quite ironically, I think that's why I forgot to take the cap off, because I had the hood on and didn't see the cap...

(or I could just blame it being a new lens, haven't gotten used to it yet, was my first real outing with it last weekend)

10. momus

momus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Switching to SLRs fixed that little problem for me, which in a way was too bad, as I had invented a DIY fix that prevented lens cap "shots". I simply glued a little plastic tab on my lens cap and painted it red, and always oriented the cap so that it was in direct line of sight in the viewfinder. It was impossible to ignore.

I'm quite envious of your darkroom. It looks much neater than my negs hanging by Dollar Store bag clips, tied to a coat hanger w/ knitting yarn, weighted down w/ a clip tied to a large nut, then hung on the bathroom shower curtain rod along w/ the wife's drying stockings. But it works.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2013
  11. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a Fuji GA645 and do this sometimes. Not as much as when I first got it though. I bought a hood for it and now only use the lens cap when storing it. When I take it out to bring somewhere the cap comes off and stays home. If I'm worried about exposing the lens to the elements I keep the camera in a bag for protection but when taken out to shoot no lens cap at all, ever.

12. Soeren

Soeren Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ive heard lenscaps are quite good frisbees.
    best regards

13. Ken.Cartouche

Ken.Cartouche Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow! That's a great idea! I've tried to think of how I could make a "cap reminder" like that, and I think I'm going to steal this one. :bandit:

14. 2bits

2bits Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, lenscapes and darkslides have been my forte also! I too own only one rangefinder, and I have a medium format w/ darkslides that is a real learning curve for me. I read on Apug somewhere to tie a red yarn around my darkslide handle, and it works great.
    I suppose one could tie red yarn to your RF lens cap!

15. CamCrunch

CamCrunch Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I've solved this problem by never keeping the cap on. I've settled with using a filter and a hood!