I picked up a Pentax 67!

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by marcmarc, Aug 15, 2011.

1. marcmarc

marcmarc Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks again for the advice on my questions yesterday. I purchased a kit from KEH. A 67 (not a older 6x7 or a newer 67 II) with 105mm and a Penta prisim. I like incident metering so I don't need a TTL prism. All I need now is a owners manual. I'm just out the door to work so I'll google search for one when I get home; there has to be (I hope) one online. I also need a strap. This might be difficult. I read that these are a specialty item (like the Mamiya straps) so I'll look around LA for one at Samys or Calumet. I guess there aren't any after market straps that will work.
    Thanks again. I'm taking a long weekend this week so my camera should arrive by then. This is so exciting!

2. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm glad that you got a Pentax 67, I have a Maimya RB67 which I love!

Jeff

3. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Op - Tech make great comfortable Neoprene straps with the correct metal clips to fit the metal strap buttons on Pentax 6X7s you need the type "B" connectors
    http://optechusa.com/super-pro-strap.html, these are better than the straps Pentax used to make for these cameras .

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2011
  4. toro_mike

toro_mike Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Congrats! I absolutely love my Pentax 6x7. Wait until you see the negative, so nice!

5. JohnMeadows

JohnMeadows Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  6. eskyone

eskyone Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Loved it

I used a 67 for many years. It's a wonderful camera. I think the only quirk - loading film when it's very cold. I have big hands and it was painful at times. I placed the film in the camera prior to unwinding the leader, which helped. Congrats on your purchase.

7. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Congrats! I use an RZ and I love the size, but hate the bulk. Your Pentax is more compact.

8. marcmarc

marcmarc Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the congrats and the links. I still have a RZ67 kit that will still get some use. The big Pentax will be sort of a compliment to it. You see, since I had a spare RZ body that I purchased to use while waiting for my first RZ body to be repaired (and which Mamiya in NY kept sending the wrong parts for which made the turn over time drag on and on) I thought why not sell it back to KEH and put that money towards a Pentax 67 which I've always been keen on getting but never could make up my mind. I even rented a 67 II for a day and still couldn't quite get sold on it. Anyway, I'm looking forward to spending some quality time this weekend putting the Pentax through it's paces to see that it's up to par. After that, I'll need a wide angle, probably the 55mm.

9. Smudger

Smudger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just hope you didn't sprain your wrist (joke). If you obtain the 55, I have a huge K2 yellow filter available.
    The 45mm is very,very good too ,and smaller and lighter.

10. scoopneil

scoopneil Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Used to have this camera w/ 3 lenses. Had to sell it in the early 90's to pay the rent. Still don't think I ever got over it. The negs from this camera are really a treat!

11. John Wiegerink

John Wiegerink Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, don't overlook the 45mm as it is my favorite lens on the Pentax. Doesn't seem to rate as high as the 55's do, but that might be because less people have the 45mm. Truth is, "ALL" the lenses in the Penta 67 stable are very, very good and that includes even the older ones. JohnW

12. André E.C.

André E.C. Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Congrats on your purchase, lovely camera and that wood handle, it´s stylish.:smile:

Have fun!

13. ChuckP

ChuckP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here's a pretty basic loading video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmJHVVaWRBg
    I would not let the wind lever snap back like that. Also I like to not remove the tape from the film before putting it in the camera. I always seem to have to turn the reel to get it to line up correctly and an untaped reel makes this easier. After it's lined up just grab the tape end and pull.

14. marcmarc

marcmarc Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the video link Chuck P. As far as wide angles go, I seem to recall reading that the 45mm lenses tend to get a bit soft at the corners which is why I began thinking about a 55. Perhaps this is just another misconception along with the overstated camera vibration issue? With my RZ67 I have a 50 and it has a floating element ring that the user sets the subject distance in order to keep the corners sharp. Thus, I suppose at these focal lengths, this is a common issue. I'll do some more research into the 45.

15. toro_mike

toro_mike Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have the 55mm and it is a great lens... Very sharp at all stops I have tried. I keep the 90mm LS and the 55mm together whenever the 6x7 goes out. It also works great on my 645NII with the adapter :smile:

Here's a good resource for 67 lenses with basic descriptions:
    http://www.antiquecameras.net/pentax6x7lenses.html

16. ChuckP

ChuckP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Be aware that there are 3 versions of the 55. The last one has the best reputation. Check the above link for descriptions.

17. toro_mike

toro_mike Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Indeed. I should have said "Here's a good resource for 67 lenses with basic descriptions and reputation grades."

Thanks ChuckP!

18. marcmarc

marcmarc Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi Chuck P. So how does one tell the difference between the two 55mm f4 SMC lenses? They even have the same filter size. I'll probably buy one from KEH so it will be sight unseen. Is there a serial number range I mention when I call in my order? They designate some lenses as "late"; this is what my 105mm lens was described as when I ordered the kit.

19. surfotog

surfotog Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The latest 55/4 is labeled " SMC Pentax 67". The earlier 55/4 is labeled "SMC Pentax 6x7". If you're buying from KEH, they'll list the most recent as "late". There is also an earlier 55/3.5.

20. marcmarc

marcmarc Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Got it surfotog. Thanks!

21. SMBooth

SMBooth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  22. M.A.Longmore

M.A.Longmore Subscriber

Shooter: