I placed my first order

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by baachitraka, Jul 5, 2011.

1. baachitraka

baachitraka Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Developer: ADOX ATOMAL 49 2x1 Liter / 2x10 Filme (ATM 49)
    StopBath: ADOLUX ADOSTOP Stoppbad 60% geruchlos mit Indicator 1000 ml
    Fixer: ADOLUX ADOFIX Expressfixierer hohe Konz. 1Liter

...and some other stuff as starter kit.

I would like to have your opinion about this developer for slow films like ILFord PanF 50?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2011
  2. el wacho

el wacho Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    where from?

3. baachitraka

baachitraka Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    fotoimpex.de...

4. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    baachitraka:

Good luck in getting your question answered. I personally have had no experience with either your film or chemistry choices.

I do have one suggestion though - you might get better responses if you used a different thread title. If the title was something like "Slow films in ADOX Atomal 49 - good choice?" you would be much more likely to attract the attention of someone who does have experience with the combination.

5. baachitraka

baachitraka Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I will not worry much, since I would like to start with the cheap stuff to gain some experience and move on to more professional stuff.

By the way, Is Xtol, such a great developer? They promise good shadow detail, fine grain and sharpness...

6. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Xtol is a very good developer, and it has a relatively benign environmental "footprint".

The only downside (for me) is that the mixing directions require you to mix up 5 liters at a time.

Personally, I use HC-110 one-shot, mixed directly from the thick (North American) concentrate to dilution E (1 + 47).

That being said, I'm sure that you will get at least reasonable results from the ATM 49 developer you have ordered.

7. baachitraka

baachitraka Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, when I was ordering I saw the Xtol for 5 liters. I felt it is little too much for a beginner.

Off topic: Are there any alchemist who mix diff developers(A+B), for developing film?

8. georg16nik

georg16nik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ATOMAL 49 is excellent for slow films. I have used almost all the a49 incarnations.. Agfa, ORWO etc etc.
    However, I haven't tried it with any of the Ilford emulsions. Its should be good match thou.

9. Rolleijoe

Rolleijoe Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Atomal 49 (Agfa version), now Adox 49 (just a name change), is quite a professional developer. Was one of the standard fine grained developers when it 1st came out. Ilford films certainly these days can not be considered "cheap" either.

I had used X-tol when I worked in NYC, because at the time, it was available in 1L packages. Interesting results at the time with Tri-X, but Studional gave much better results overall.

Good luck with your 1st order. Mirko is a good guy.

10. baachitraka

baachitraka Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Okay, I just got it. Very curious to prepare the stock solution. But, I am trying to find Studional in adox.de, but there is no such product in their web-page.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2011
  11. georg16nik

georg16nik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In the ATM 49 package there should be part 1 and part 2 wrapped by a sheet with instructions, follow the steps and You should be good to go.
    IMHO, the safest route is to use distilled water, so that You will always have same results. Tap water is hit or miss, even when filtered.
    Studional was available back in the old Agfa times.. Now, You can rely on ADOLUX ADX A+B - for me it works the same, if not better.

Good luck and have fun in the darkroom!
    G
    ATM 49 gives very retro look

12. baachitraka

baachitraka Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In Bremen, Germany the water is generally soft or very soft. Nevertheless, I will try with dist wasser.

Now, I have lots of questions running in my mind. I really don't know which film is best suited for this developer. I was shooting HP5+ and gave it to the lab and results were really terrible.

I am thinking to get my-selft ADOX CHS 100 ART or slower one or film with slight contrast.

Suggestions are welcome.

13. georg16nik

georg16nik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ATM 49 is kind of equalizing/balancing developer, so its generally accepted that it works best with high contrast scenes or slow films (~20-50ASA) - to keep detail in highlights and shadows.
    I have used it mostly with european films in the range of 20 to 100 ASA and its excellent.
    Could not say anything broad in connection with Ilford or Kodak films - I have shot mostly Kodak Technical Pan, developed in Rodinal and its great but that about it.
    :wink: