I thought my Bronica SQ was defective but...

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Trask, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Trask

Trask Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I picked up a Bronica SQ a couple of months ago from a APUGer, and started shooting with it -- nice camera. But I found that I'd forget to pull the dark slide and the camera would still me let me fire the camera. I kept losing pictures as I'd forget to pull the slide before making several exposures. "Oh, great," I thought, "I bought a defective camera or back." I googled to find out how to fix the problem, read about the various pins on the back that interface with the body, and so forth. Nothing seemed to work. This morning, after again making blank exposures, I was taking out the roll of film and happened to notice that by the top of the dark slide slot in the back was a small white circle with a dot inside. I then looked at the plastic handle on the dark slide and saw that it said "Bronica" on one end and had the same circle/dot figure on the other. Bingo -- Bronica wants me to match the two symbols when inserting the slide. I did, and the camera would no longer fire with the slide in. I looked closely at the slide and saw near the plastic handle a small cutout that obviously interfaces with the internals of the back/body interface. So if you've had the same "problem" try this fix -- put the dark slide in correctly.

2. flash26c

flash26c Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You don't really need the dark slide unless you are changing backs - loading and unloading film can be done just by opening the back - you also don't need to find a place to store the slide :<)

3. TSSPro

TSSPro Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I personally like to think that my shirt pockets were designed for holding my darkslides and lenscaps. :tongue:

4. Dave in Kansas

Dave in Kansas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just be careful when leaning over to raise the toilet seat. :surprised:

5. Joe O'Brien

Joe O'Brien Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I must agree with David. I discovered, after a few broken lens caps, that it is in-fact the shirt pocket made for lens caps and darkslides not the rear pants pocket :D

6. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think a lot of us have taken pictures of our dark slides but not too many admit it!

I have done this with my ETRS and my RB67. Both will allow the shutter to fire if the dark slide is all but about 1/4" in.

Steve.

7. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not only your darkslide Dave, I once sent my cellphone to a watery grave that way :wink:

8. David Henderson

David Henderson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format

Can I assume that less stuff gets lost when you're putting the seat back down?

9. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can get the answer to your question David " At your own convenience " :smile:

10. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2010
  11. skahde

skahde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Always wondered what all that fuss about loosing or not finding the dark slide was about. I must have found a viable solution without realising it. This is what I do:

Store the darkslide together with your other backs. As long as you don't need another back you will not need the slide. If you need another back, the slide will be in the same spot.

12. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Could you not attach it to the camera with a tether.

13. ulysses

ulysses Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Interestingly, my Bronica ECTL had such a feature built in to the film backs. I recently acquired an ETRs system (which I love, by the way) but was surprised to find that it does not. Progress, I guess.

Ulysses

14. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That is not a solution.

I switch backs to go from black & white to color and back to black & white. Or I will move a back from my 503 to my 509 SWC so that all the photographs are on afew rolls of film rather than mixed with other shoots over many rolls. Before I kept the dark slides on the back of the magazine, the dark slides would disappear in the camera bag no matter how disciplined I was about putting them in the same place.

Steve

15. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Not a solution for some. It will work for others.

I always toss the slide in the bag (where the things i will be holding in my hands all come from), and never lost a slide.

(That last bit is a lie. I did lose a slide: my spare one. Haven't needed it for so long that i forgot where i put it. So when i remembered i had one, i had to turn my bags inside out to see where it was hiding.)

Where do you keep your lens caps? And how often do you lose those?

16. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Right front pants pocket. But lens caps do not bend. Ever put a metal dark slide in your pocket? How did that work for you?

17. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You don't want it loose. Keep a tight grip on it or you could lose it!

Steve.

18. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Some times I tighten them too.

19. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    :D

I throw my lens caps in the bag as well. Haven't lost one of them either.

20. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "Just lose the Dark Slide of the force, allow yourself to feel the anger that flows deep within you"

The RB67 has a holder on the side of the camera that the dark slide goes into when not in use for the back being used, does your camera not have that?