I want a wireless cable release! Who can build one?

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by wildbill, Jan 8, 2012.

1. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've brought this up more than once in the past but never asked anyone to build it. There are enough smart folks here who can rig all sorts of things with electronics and cameras. Here's what I need:
    1. A shutter release that terminates with cable release threads on the end of a 16" flexible wand so it can connect to most any mechanical camera AND fire copal shutters while attached to something like the hot shoe socket.

2. It must be wireless up to 100ft, it could use an existing electronic sender/reciever (like a remote household switch) or from scratch.

3. The ability to set times from 1 second to 30 seconds and also function with a copal shutter's T mode (hit button once for open, once for closed).

4. will function in cold weather, below freezing if need be.

I know there are mechanical gadgets that come up on ebay which attach to your cable release or screw directly into the shutter. I'm not interested in those, at all.

Who's gonna build me one and how much will it cost?

2. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have one of the releases you speak of. works ok but not wireless and doesn't like to uncoil in cold weather, not good for my application.

4. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Okay. Just bear in mind that wireless releases have temp problems too. I have a remote thingie that has to be warmed before you can use it in the winter, even if only around 32F or so.

Anyway, this can be done.

5. tron_

tron_ Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    it would be a pretty simple project with a microcontroller and a bluetooth modem. the question is how small do you need it to be? haha.

but may i be so bold to ask why you want to do this?

6. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    it doesn't have to be tiny, the size of a coke can.
    all sorts of reasons.
    1. There are shots I'd like to take with me in them, not portraits, just a tall skinny guy in frame somewhere.

2. several hour exposures at night- I do them but have to get up out of bed in the middle of the night to open/close the shutter.

3. it doesn't exist, yet.

7. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What about a simple mechanical delay? That'd be a lot simpler.

8. Matthew Wagg

Matthew Wagg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mechanically connect the shutter release to a relay, controlled by BT. The tough bit will be writing the app to control it.

9. Jim Noel

Jim Noel Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    There is more than one R/C shutter release on the market. They do work well.

10. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jim,
    Okay, care to post a link?

everyone else,
    fyi, I'm not using strobes.
    again, I don't want to build it. I'd like to buy it. please read my original post.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2012
  11. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can't be the only photographer who wants one of these. think about it, sit in your nice warm car waiting for the light, then click.

12. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well yeah, I have several remote options but none of them work with copal shutters! The thing is, with LF you fire remotely and you get one shot, and you're done. With an rz, I can sit in the nice warm car, with hated seats, and fire remotely...

Anyway, it can be done, I just don't have time.

13. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Try an assistant who likes cold weather and is an insomniac and just needs a simple cable release and a count down timer.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. SMBooth

SMBooth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What about using something like an remote control car transmitter and servo...

16. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, I think in the past an approximation of this topic has come up and the radio gear and servos for model cars/boats/planes have been suggested. If you really wanted to add handling for T vs B and precision controlled exposures, some sort of micro-controller based enhancement added to such gear might be the way to go. A decade or two back this would have been right up my alley, but since retiring I confess to having become rather slothful these days (unless I suddenly find I "need" one).

17. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well the remote control part is easy, a pair of xxx brand wireless flash sync units, relay and battery. Plus the mechanical bits to push on a cable release, either a high torque solenoid or a motor driven plunger.

18. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  19. munz6869

munz6869 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  20. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Anyone know how much pressure is needed to fire a copal shutter, copal #1, #3 with the average cable release?
    I guess I may need to take a lens and release to the hobby store to get the right servo.

21. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  22. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They seem to list the power consumption in watts and offer two different voltage ratings. You could determine the current by dividing the watts by the volts; e.g., a 6 watt solenoid on 12 volts would draw 0.5 amps. That's a pretty significant current -- no transistor radio batteries! Probably C or D cells, or maybe a rechargeable sealed lead-acid gel cell battery, would be suitable candidates. I would be a bit concerned about the mechanical interface too. A really powerful solenoid with a long stroke could possibly damage the shutter. This might suggest some sort of spring or other stretchy element to separate the solenoid motion a bit from the shutter trigger. Or perhaps some adjustable stop could be used. Those old mechanical self timer accessories typically had a sort of telescoping fitting with lock ring adjustment to set the actuator stroke depth.

This could turn into quite an exercise -- though perhaps fun. :blink:

23. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You could always get an old graflex solenoid and hook it up to a few batteries on a wire, or even to a small RC transceiver? They also have screw in self timers that you can use for large format.

24. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I actually scored a graflex solenoid so i'm going to give it a shot. As I said in my original post, I have zero interest in those screw in timers. I had one, it lasted 10 minutes and isn't any where close to what I need.

25. paul ron

paul ron Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    As said before, I like the toy RC car or plane controllers, it'll work just fine for this.

Radio Shack or any 99¢ store toys will do.

26. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Howdy,

I have been thinking about this as well. I am wondering whether I was to combine this:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tubular-...737?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item256adae6a1
    with this:
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/REMOTE-S...664192082?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item4600fb7c52
    it would be enough to trigger a heavy shutter, like those found on a Koni-Omega
    Just a thought (not exactly sure how the Graflex solenoid would work, though....I am looking at being able to use such a setup for bulb or timed exposures.)