I want to dress like a photographer!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by Wolfeye, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
  2. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fergit that stuff. All you need is a nice long scarf. Ask anyone who shoots for VII. :wink:

3. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. mrladewig

mrladewig Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    That's Gitzo for you. Charging a premium for whatever they stick their name on.

It isn't out of line with the price point of a high quality mountaineering jacket. That said, while it appears they are using an expanded PTFE waterproofing system (this is what Gore-tex is), it isn't goretex and is therefore significantly above most competitors price points. Want similarly equipped jacket. Buy the Mountain Hardware Exposure Parka for ~$200 (uses Mountain Hardware's Conduit ePTFE material). Or at the $400-500 price point you can find stuff like Arcteryx's Alpha LT parka and The North Face Mamatus jacket - both at $500, both Gore-Tex.

6. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I want a dozen of those!:D

Jeff

7. archphoto

archphoto Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    If you want something afordable: go into a shop that sells angling gear. Vests for fly-fishing are a lot cheaper than this and have as many or even more pockets.

Peter

8. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You will also need a tripod or a monopod to use as a walking stick. :wink:

Camera bling is a good touch: Wide, normal and telephoto Rolleis hanging on the neck all worn at the same time or a gold plated Leica or Hasselblad with red, yellow, blue or green covers.

Steve

9. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Red wig, big shoes, little car, horn, lots of face paint and a big red nose.
    Sorry, couldn't resist.

I got an old army jacket a little big for me with pockets and removed the sleeves. Just depends on whether you want to look professional or practical, I guess.

10. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maybe this is what really drives up the price:

Lee

11. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
  12. aparat

aparat Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Try an army surplus store. They have lots of options for vests and jackets and should work just fine for photographers' needs.

13. Kimberly Anderson

Kimberly Anderson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm a photographer and I haven't worn a photo vest or a cargo jacket in YEARS!

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Aklens200

Aklens200 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi,
    Gee,I feel so bad now...I only payed $35.00 for an 'outdoors' vest at a Target Store.
    Losts of pockets with a large one in the back.
    Should I take it back and pay more now.(?) :smile:
    Rich

16. KenS

KenS Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dammit!!! At that price I would expect separate pockets to hold an adequate number of 8x10 and/or 4x5 film holders.

Ken

17. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In a recent project, a vest really did come in handy. I was driving around L.A. shooting approx. 20 pix per day with my Sinar (Fuji instant 3x4 prints). I kept the beast on the tripod riding shotgun. After the first day of this, it was obvious I needed to condense my two trips back and forth to the car for every shot into one. So I got a $10 used fishing vest. The thing worked great, and really picked up my pace. I put my Polaroid holder, my Pentax spot meter, my Brockway incident meter, my spare film, etc. into the vest. The metronome for timing the Polaroids was taped to the tripod. The thermometer was taped to the camera. The loupe was tied onto the camera with a shoelace. I looked like a stupid idiot (a bearded fisherman roaming the streets of L.A. with a big camera taking pix on people's streets...all I needed was for the vest to be orange or camouflage, and I am sure the cops would have been called on the weird creepy hick), but this getup was very helpful.

In other words, you can rig something that will have 90 percent of the functionality of that jacket for about 10 percent of the cost. The questions are how important are the remaining 10 percent and 90 percent, respectively? Do you really need the special "photo" features (the 10 percent), and if so, are they worth the extra cost (the 90 percent)? You also have to tweak the percentages for each situation.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2009
  18. bsdunek

bsdunek Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  19. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I generally like to have jackets, pants, and shirts with lots of big pockets, so I've avoided buying any specialized photo vests or jackets. ExOfficio safari-style shirts have pockets big enough for a couple of 4x5" filmholders or a Grafmatic. I have a corduroy hunting jacket made by Barbour with nice big pockets that can hold Grafmatics. I'm wearing it in this photo--

http://www.apug.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7426&d=1176424714

Some fishing gear works, but often the pockets are too small, I've found. This fishing jacket, which I own, is nicely waterproofed with photographically useful pockets--

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/208,59273_Redington-Bow-River-Jacket-Waterproof-For-Men.html

But nothing large enough and in the right place to comfortably hold, say a 35mm SLR body. You could fit them in the back pockets, which are large enough to hold maybe two trout each, but I don't think it would be very comfortable to have them there.

20. EdColorado

EdColorado Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Cmon David, everyone should walk around with a trout in their pocket...its a great conversation starter! :tongue:

I have a photo vest (don't remember who made it) that I haven't worn in ages. It was very useful when wandering around a race track but now I mostly shoot nature and wildlife and the vest hangs in a closet. Now my "vest" is a backpack.

21. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    How to dress like a photographer?

New York or LA ?

Faded ripped jeans. converse sneakers or some rare Nike's. Black T-shirt. Rolex.

22. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have never understood why people buy jeans which have been purposefully damaged...

Tom.

23. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Actually I'd like to dress like a photographer... just not that one.
    This one, please.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/george_eastman_house/2720793926/

Been toying with getting a seamstress to make me a dress like that one... I'll make the pretty painted backdrop and buy one of those "bee" watson exposure meters which i think is what's hanging from her chest in an unladylike manner :smile:

24. Prest_400

Prest_400 Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    You forgot a $7000 linhof master technika. A classic or jubilee version. It's also good for self defense if needed :wink:

$600 for the gitzo vest is too much. I wouldn't spend that for the vest, even If I had millions!

25. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You guys in 'continental' type climates have it easy as, relatively speaking, weather systems move slower than they do on smaller islands / at the coast.

In the UK (especially in the hills / mountains) we need to carry everything from a thin t-shirt, via warmth layers to a water and wind proof outer layer at any time of the year. We can have 4 seasons in a day, twice-over, if we're unlucky.

26. naeroscatu

naeroscatu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, you missed the fine print: a $600 Gitzo vest comes with the guarantee that you will become a better photographer:tongue:. There was a line-up for this item last time when I looked.