I was given a bunch of darkroom stuff...

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Dshambli, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Dshambli

Dshambli Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    But I'm not sure what much of it is. Most of the stuff was for graphic work. But some of it seemed photographic. I'll be posting some specifics later but what is photomechanical paper? And Slo film which is 2"x100'? There is also an old sealed bag of powder dektol, would this be any good?

2. rmolson

rmolson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Photo mechanical paper is probably high contrast paper for line art And was designed for processing in lith film type developers. Most were contact speed papers and rarely worked with enlargers. In continuous tone developers they stained easily.

3. Dshambli

Dshambli Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Here are some pictures of some of the things. What are these? Is any of it possibly usable still? Is there anything cool I can do with any of it?

121511225500.jpg
    121511225556.jpg
    121511224930.jpg
    121511225212.jpg
    121511225306.jpg

4. cmacd123

cmacd123 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Can't see the label on the GAF (ansco) paper.
    The Varityper film is for an old Phototype setter. PMT was some kind of Pre-press proofing system, and the Othor Stripping film was to making up pages from multiple sources, (the emulsion could be transferred to another base hence the "stripping" name.

5. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Kodakraft printer is for making contact prints. Open the top, lay a negative on the glass with emulsion side up, then a sheet of paper with emulsion side down facing the neg, close the dood and switch it on for a few seconds then develope the print.

6. Dshambli

Dshambli Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It doesn't give any technical information. It just says to open in a photographic dark room and gives the dimensions and count of the paper inside. But I was hoping that GAF paper was some sort of constant. I won't get my hopes up too high though, the stuff is mostly likely all bad anyways. The contact printer sounds like it could be fun though.

Nobody ever told me, is there a possibility that the sealed bag of Dektol (for paper) is still any good? Its quite possibly from the 1960s.

7. cmacd123

cmacd123 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    GAF made all sorts of paper, with various Brand names. Contact, enlargeing, graphics... There would have been a label with a brand name and the emusion number, but like all paper the label is used to hold the box together so may have come off.

I recall dektol still being in a can in the 60's then in a paper envelope and later in a plastic/foil package.

8. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Or slit the label to open the package later in the dark room.

9. canuhead

canuhead Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If memory serves, PMT paper was used when prepping images for print. It was used in conjunction with line screens and resized, waxed and pasted onto pages which were shot for making plates which were used in the printing process. It's been years so this info could be way off :wink:

10. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    You can buy new fresh dektol for 10 or less dollar , why risk yourself ?

11. Dshambli

Dshambli Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the help everybody. The GAF paper is in a box with 500 sheets wrapped in black paper. But the box has been opened, and the only clue I have is that label I pictured, which was inside the box because it had fallen off. And as for the Dektol, it's the paper-like packaging. I've read the can stuff keeps pretty well, but I was just wondering. I could always pick some more up, but it would be nice to know I came across a stack of at least partially usable stuff.

12. cmacd123

cmacd123 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Next step would be to try it and see if It will work I guess. Hopefuly you opened the box in the dark, or under a reasonable safe-light. Next time you are having a darkroom session, Try cutting off a strip of paper off a sheet from the middle of the stack and see if it develops too much fog. if it comes up then you can try a few test test steps to see if you can find a useable exposure.

If it is an "enlarging paper" you may be able to work around some fog. If it just turns black in teh developer someone has admired it in the light sometime in the last 40 years.

My plan would be to make sure I have a good package and mix the old package up. if it is not plain brown! Try it with a print. (oviously on "good Paper". If it is brown or does not work, go tp plan B and mix your fresh package - if the old stuff works save the fresh package for later. Note that this plan is for paper developer only. Wasting a sheet of paper is one thing, losing a roll of film is quite another