I was recently gifted 88 rolls of 135.

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by powasky, Jan 3, 2013.

1. powasky

powasky Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    A family friend just gave me his stash of film, as he's switched to digital. All of it is expired, but has been in freezer storage for its whole life.

I have read that I should try cross-processing the expired slide film. Is this a waste?

Are there any general tips for shooting expired film? I would assume that it is now probably slower than its box rating, is this something I should try to compensate for?

Here's a hastily constructed spreadsheet of what I've got. I was typing as I went through the box, so it isn't well organized.

[​IMG]

2. ArtO

ArtO Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    WOW! What a haul.

3. powasky

powasky Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It's sure a shame that most of it is Kodak Max...I'll save it for my Canon MC :D

4. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It is if you don't like the cross processed look.

I would try some out normally. It's probably fine.

Steve.

5. Oxleyroad

Oxleyroad Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a stash of Kodak royal gold (ISO1000) of the same vintage of which you have one roll. I have been exposing at 400 and have been happy with results. I have processed both C41 and in Caffenol. Be ready for grain...

6. David Lyga

David Lyga Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    For the stuff in the 90s give about one stop more (especially the color Max). The other stuff is probably just as old. Try that and if overexposed, adjust accordingly. I say this ONLY because of the favorable storage in cold.

Note: the slide film can be processed as C-41 yielding an actual, normal negative with orange mask. I have done this many times. - David Lyga

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2013
  7. powasky

powasky Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Oxley-

Are you treating it as 400 when you develop?

David-

Thanks for the exposure tips. If I'm cross-processing Velvia 50, do I treat it just like I would any 50ISO color neg film?

8. PentaxBronica

PentaxBronica Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    For the stuff which expired in 04 I'd just try shooting and developing a roll as normal.

I had a roll of generic colour negative film of similar vintage which I finally got around to using last year, aside from the colours being a bit muted (which might have been a characteristic of the film and not age-related) it was absolutely fine. It hadn't been stored particularly carefully other than keeping it out of direct sunlight or extremes of temperature.

Personally I wouldn't cross-process slide film, it's getting hard to find. Just get it developed normally and either scan it or buy a projector, you can find good quality ones for not a lot of money now.

9. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've found frozen film to shoot perfectly normally despite expiry, maybe slight speed loss but still shootable at box speed

10. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As you probably know, there is no longer any practical way to process the Kodachrome and obtain colour slides.

You can use it for black and white, but it probably isn't worth it.

Other than that, congratulations.

11. powasky

powasky Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I did not know that the Kodachrome couldn't be processed. Well, if anyone wants it to experiment with or whatever, shoot me a PM and I'll send it off to you. I don't develop at home yet so I can't play around with it myself.

12. gorbas

gorbas Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm Pan
    Yesterday I did quick and dirty test of Agfachrome 100RS expired in 1991 and ever since kept in deep freezer. After processing it come almost perfect. Yes, Dmax is slightly lower, but not much, colour balance is almost bang on. Are these miracle results for colour slide film that expired 21 years ago?
    Now I'm sorry that I didn't include Kodak grey scale and colour chart in the few frames. It was exposed at box speed. Scans are just resized and sharpened.

Agfa 100RS #10.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2013
  13. BradS

BradS Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    geez, nice gift!

relax and enjoy!

14. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Is that 4x5?

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

15. gorbas

gorbas Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm Pan
    Stone, it's 120 film in Hasselblad

16. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Gotcha, ok that makes sense :smile:

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk