Iceland bargains

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by keithwms, Oct 25, 2008.

1. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was just perusing the airfares to Iceland and noticed that they've plummeted; there are some very good deals for the winter break.

Is there any interest in a ~5-10 day mid-winter trip? Last time I was in Iceland over winter, I found all manner of things to see and do. The light was quite spectacular. Among the attractions:

-gorgeous light, something like sunrise/sunset for several hours. The colours are spectacular.

-long exposure heaven: in the lowish light you can build all sorts of motion into a photograph.

-northern lights: last time I was there in winter, I was able to see them quite clearly even from the blue lagoon.

-winter traditions: in the winter, the Icelanders light the graves and shoot off fireworks to fend off the darkness. The Icelanders have very interesting yuletide traditions.

-I found the hostels to be uniformly excellent, and the farms to be even better (in terms of food).

-almost complete absence of tourists in the winter!

If this happens I would propose staying around Reykjavik, with day-long photo excursions around the peninsula.

2. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Iceland's banking system has failed, causing a huge devaluation in the Icelandic currency. That is no doubt related to the air far changes.

Getting money while you are there might be difficult, but it's probably a great opportunity to enjoy being there at a reasonable price. It is a special place.

3. Schlapp

Schlapp Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    What's the capital of Iceland?

about £1
    :smile:

4. mmcclellan

mmcclellan Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Very tasteless joke. :sad:

5. Fintan

Fintan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Trips to Iceland are win win at the moment, good value for you guys and important tourism for them.

6. Windscale

Windscale Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    But beware. A country that is economically unstable may soon be socially and politically unstable. Poverty may bring forth public disorder. I have wanted to go there for a long time and never went. Now I think I will think twice. Imagine going to a place where all the local residents have lost their money!!!

7. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Indeed the icelanders are a fearsome lot. You never know, they might charge you on those little horses. Or put the Björk on high volume.

But I think as long as they have their cod, they will remain peaceful.

8. jeroldharter

jeroldharter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    What are the fares? I just checked Icelandair round trip from Minneapolis and the fare was >$3000.

9. Mike Crawford

Mike Crawford Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    What a completely crass and unfeeling statement. I'm sure your absence from the country will not be noticed. Iceland is an incredible place to visit and the Icelanders are truly quite individual. Despite the current situation, I am very confidant that in time, (not sure how long though), they will be on their feet again. Reports from friends from there say that it is not an easy situation just now, but I am sure they would be as welcoming as ever to tourists and it really is a country that has to be seen to be believed!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2008
  10. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jerold, I found flights from NY to Reykjavik that were ~$220-260 each way, leaving Dec. 18th and returning the 23rd. There is definitely some magic in the dates; e.g. if you fly on the 20th, the cost goes up to $1000!

Anyway look at some of their specials...

http://www.icelandair.com/

11. Antje

Antje Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    But - aren't they descendants of Vikings? :surprised: What if they start wielding axes again? Or make us eat sheep heads? The Swedes robbed the library of Würzburg during the 30 year war, and we've never forgotten!

Antje, appalled

:D

12. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    :surprised: I can send you some books if you wish :wink:

Funny though, I remember seeing somewhere in Austria, I think near Kirchberg: bis hier und nicht weiter kamen die schwedischen Reiter. Or something like that. So apparently the Austrians were a tough lot (?)

13. Antje

Antje Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    :smile: Truth be told, I find it pretty cool - the library now is in Sweden and can be seen in Uppsala, which makes it history in itself... And after all, the fact probably saved the books from destruction in WWII.

:D They still are! It really is funny - my people, the Westfalians (north-ish - western Germany) still pride themselves that we fought off the Romans. Water toilets? Central heating? No thanks, we rather wanted to stay free and barbarian. :wink:

Antje, enjoying central heating nonetheless

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. André E.C.

André E.C. Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format

An individual who make this kind of statement, just doesn't know a s h i t about Scandinavian culture or values, northern european countries, were once in history barbarian, now they are civilized and advanced.

Go there and see for yourself, learn about the people and the country itself, maybe after that, you will stop behaving like a complete ignorant.

http://www.icenews.is/index.php/2008/10/19/the-top-icelandic-politicians-discussed-the-economic-situation/

Have a nice day!

André

16. crispinuk

crispinuk Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Probably the best thing we can do to support the Icelandic public is to go there and spend hard foreign cash.

For any Brits who would like to show the Icelandic people that Gordon Brown does NOT represent the views of the British public you can show your support here: http://www.indefence.is/Home. Brown obviously can't tell the difference in pronounciation between Terrorism and Tourism (I wonder who he's been talking to recently ;0) )!

End of political rant.

17. Michael W

Michael W Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So I should postpone my trip to the UK & USA until things improve?

18. Windscale

Windscale Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Make no mistake about it. I have been to many Scandinavian countries, including your very own. I admired the people there. I am not making an adverse statement about them. I am just saying that things MAY change in a certain way due to circumstances. And circumstances have changed. Local people taking to the street in protest was something almost unheard of in Iceland. When people have suffered all their losses and were up in arms it may not be the best time to go there. If you can understand English well, the whole statement referred to a possibility rather than an accusation. I did not make anything about them being barbarians in the past. That was a long long time ago, certainly before the modern history of England which started in 1066! In fact you brought this up. I have always wanted to go and see the place but just that in the past I ended up in other places, including your country.

If you would like to accuse me as "behaving like a complete ignorant", you are entitled to your views. It just proved that we are tolerant people and only make a statement based on logic rather than accusation without understanding the language in which it was written in. Anyway, I think this should end this observation. I like Sibelius as much as you do.

Oh. I do apologise to anyone who may feel offended. And to the Icelanders, I do feel sorry for you for losing your hard-earned money due to the lack of supervision by your government and the over ambitious investment policies of your financial institutions. We are facing the same problem in the UK as well. Let's hope things get better.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2008
  19. Windscale

Windscale Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Very sensible. I have not visited the USA since 911.

20. André E.C.

André E.C. Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format

So, as an individual who knows the northern culture, do you really believe people can start rioting and descent to anarchy because of the current scenario?

I don't think so, icelanders are quiet and relaxed people, they might take on the streets sending a message to the government, but more than that, I don't believe, honestly.

Icelanders are highly civilized and educated people, I really can't see them rioting, I would be shocked if they did that.

Cheers

André

21. Windscale

Windscale Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am sure they are nice people. But as I say, these are difficult and extreme times. It is hard to predict what they can or will do as all their money in the bank has vapourised. The government said it will guarantee their savings. But what with? Their government has no money to do this. Even with the borrowed money from Russia it is still not enough. In the past, Iceland has applied quite a bit of control over the amount tourism so as to keep their country as unspoiled as it can be. I agreed this is sensible. But even by opening up tourism it is unlikely to bring them out of the current crisis. I hope the Icelanders will exercise their ultimate perseverance and work something out to get them out of trouble. And they can't rely on outside help as everyone else is also in deep shit.

My policy is to stay put and spend as little as possible on luxuries (such as foreign travels) in these difficult times. We have a saying overhere which is very appropriate: CASH IS KING.

I am sure Finland is also feeling the pinch. Your neighbours in the EC are all suffering. Good luck to us all.

22. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Alright, let's not get political here! This thread is supposed to be about visiting a lovely place with dramatic light!

I'll just say this about the icelanders, I find them to be uniformly wonderful, *highly* educated and resourceful; it is unfortunate that the banks failed, but this can happen anywhere. If any country can bounce back from financial crisis it is Iceland; the cisis they are experiencing is relatively simple (at least compared to the multilayered issue the US is dealing with, which will take much more time). My guess is that Iceland will effectively adopt a harder currency (pounds sterling or dollar) for a time until confidence in their own financial systems are restored. We'll see a run on what is perceived to be the most powerful currency, the USD. When the dollar rush subsides, that will be a first signal that the global economy is turning the corner back towards good confidence. Just watch the exchange markets, it'll be plain for everyone to see.

Now, back to the topic of travel and photography in Iceland, please...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2008
  23. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh My Odin people. Chill. Chill in Iceland even. I think I'd want to photograph an Icelandic viking on a charging little pony. I'd wave green bucks in defense to stop'em dead in his tracks. Anyway, take a look at some of Bill Schwab's images from Iceland. The beauty is overwhelming and I am positive the people counter the temperature chill with deep warmth and hospitality, protesting on charging ponies and all notwithstanding.

Regards, Art.

24. Antje

Antje Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Wow, just had a look at Icelandair's website... My husband is rummaging through our Outlook calenders to find suitable dates now. :D If I can help a country by spending a week in hot pools and photographing what is some of the most stunning scenery in the known universe, well, so be it... It's hard, especially the massage-and-hot-pools part of it, but I'll suffer that for Iceland's economy.

Antje

25. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Negotiations are underway, it seems. Iceland may enter a monetary union with Norway - one of the few other non-EU European countries.

26. Antje

Antje Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Though: Going Euro would make so much sense now. *sigh*