ID Mystery Rollei..?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by ToddB, Oct 25, 2012.

1. ToddB

ToddB Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hey guys,

Can anyone ID the Rollei? I got it for 75.00.

ToddB

Attached Files:

2. freecom2

freecom2 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Very very roughly, I'd guess a 2.8C. They have serial numbers on the top plate which allow you to identify it when you receive it (I'm assuming it isn't in front of you).

3. Gerry M

Gerry M Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Irregardless of the exact model, and judging from your photo, you got a super buy!

4. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am so jealous of people who find these incredible bargains.

Use the camera well!

5. ToddB

ToddB Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I though so too. I asked here if everything is working and she said yes. I asked too if it had a lens cover and it comes with too. So I got T and this guy. I'm good.

ToddB

6. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    75.00, in what currency ?

7. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you can post the serial number I'll tell you what it is.

8. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'll put in a second vote for the 2.8C - I think the C was the only one that had the black plastic locks for the shutter and the pc socket, which this appears to have. As others have said, post the serial # and a definitive answer can be provided.

9. Dan Daniel

Dan Daniel Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Along with the black plastic locks, the C had small silver 'buttons' around the shutter and aperture dials that had to be depressed to move either one. I can see them in the photo.

To the OP, the 2.8C was the last Rolleiflex model with a 10-bladed aperture. The D and later had five blades.

$75? That's a gift, not a purchase. Enjoy.

10. ToddB

ToddB Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    With everyone reaction.. Did I do good?

ToodB

11. TheFlyingCamera

Shooter:
    Large Format
  12. ToddB

ToddB Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Is it a professional grade camera?
    ToddB

13. Dan Daniel

Dan Daniel Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format

As good as it got when it was made (1953-54?). This was before Hasselbalds, before the Leica M3, the Nikon F. Rollei was one of *THE* professional cameras into the 60s, and the 2.8C was the best it made at the time. If you were looking to buy a medium format camera in 1953, you couldn't do better. Different, maybe, but not better.

By the way, if it needs service, please avoid Krimar Photo in New Jersey. There are other people who are happy to work on this model without complaining about its age, complaining about getting parts, and making excuses for doing incompetent work while padding the bill with unauthorized additions. Krikor may be one of the best on later models, but he shouldn't take in cameras he won't repair properly and do work he won't stand behind.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i once found a 2.8 E model with a case at a local thrift store for $17, but this was a very good deal as well. I can hear others on the list wimpering...:whistling:

16. Slixtiesix

Slixtiesix Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes looks like some 2,8 model with the old, non-detachable waist level finder. Maybe 2,8C or 2,8D. If it is working properly then 75$ is a phenomenal bargain. Even if the shutter needs service it is still a very good price. Congrats!

17. ToddB

ToddB Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    What a disappointment..! Just got an email from the seller. This is where the WWW bites you in the A--! Her and her husband wigged out on the deal to sell. They researched on the internet and found it was worth alot more money, and now selling on the BAY. How diappointing. Oh well.. Still have my "T"

ToddB

18. TheFlyingCamera

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If you don't mind my asking, what are THEY asking for it now on FeePay?

19. ToddB

ToddB Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I looked up the listing.. they have it starting 300.00 with 6 day auction.. It was a Rolleiflex 2.8 K7C Xenatar. I should of never asked for serial number from them. Son Of B----!

ToddB

20. TheFlyingCamera

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Ok- I see it. I've been looking for a second Rolleiflex as a backup to my 2.8E. They have it listed as No Returns. It would have to sell for super cheap for me to bid on it - I just barely escaped getting badly burned on another one that was mis-described, sold with no return, but thankfully the Ebay buyer protection worked.

21. outwest

outwest Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Whew! I thought someone had beaten the $85 that I paid for mine;-)

22. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had someone do this to me with some Rollei Retro 100 film. He had some listed on eBay, a 10-pack in the wooden case, for like $35 BIN. I bought. He sent me a message saying he had more and did I want that? I said "Heck yes!", well actually I played it cooler than that. But he had 3 more boxes of it and offered them to me each at the same BIN price on the auction I won. I quickly paid for the rest with paypal. He then sends me a message the next day saying he spoke to a friend who told him that Rollei Retro 100 is actually Agfa APX100 and quite rare and worth much more so he told me was still going to send me the 10-pack I won in the auction (oh, are you? That's nice) but that the rest he was going to put on ebay again as an open auction. He soon then realized I'd already paid him and felt kinda bad. He refunded me and did send me a couple of empty Rollei wooden film boxes as an apology.

These people should have honored your $75 if you had an agreement to sell/buy at that price. Heck, even the law I think would be on your side but it's not like it would be worth it to fight them.

I got a 2.8E Planar Rolleiflex from a tiny shop down a dark alley in Beijing back in 1999 or so for $150 USD. A little beaten up but it has been to Harry Fleenor for a "spa treatment" and shoots like a dream ever since. My other Rolleiflex score was a 3.5E3 Xenotar for $120 USD. This one obviously had been dropped as the side knob was a little dented in. But it worked fine and still does!

23. mwdake

mwdake Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That happened to me a while back on eBay too.
    I found a Koni Omega step with a BIN, it had only been listed for 20 minutes.
    I bought it and paid for it as it was a very good deal.
    Then the seller cancelled the sale and refunded my money telling me he sold to a camera shop instead.
    Sure he sold it to a camera shop after listing it 20 minutes beforehand!

In better deals I did get a quite nice 2.8C just like the one in this post from a local via CL for $120.

24. photomat-

photomat- Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My Automat was around $100 plus $150 for the CLA. Used it, sold it for $250, lol. It went to a good home though.

25. ToddB

ToddB Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I was over the camera pretty quick.. However I was pretty POed all day the way it was handled. Granted, we didn't shake hands on the deal , however we made a verbal agreement and money was enroute for purchase for the camera. It was funny too. I asked if I could Paypal them and she replyed they didn't have a Paypal account. But after looking at Thier listing on the eBay. I notice their pay option it has Paypal. Something stinks about this. In there listed on Criagslist discription they sounded in distress about un-loading their stuff. So I chimed in and made an offer. So going back to their eBay listing , they have the camera for a 6 days auction. So much for ergency in unloading their stuff.
    ToddB

26. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Move on. It's likely a POS that was improperly stored and needing tons of work. You would have had to spend another $250-350 getting it up to snuff, oh and the lens has fungus....