ID this Rollie and Ricoh TLRs

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by mudman, Dec 27, 2008.

1. mudman

mudman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    From two bad photos. What version is it? It looks like a mutt between the original and the standard. Should be in my hands on Sunday. Also, does anyone know anything about Ricoh TLRS? Haven't got the foggiest clue about them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. tony lockerbie

tony lockerbie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi, looks to me like a 4.5 or 3.8 Original. Can you tell me which lens it has, and the serial number....can't quite read it on your photo.....this will reveal all. The Ricoh is just one of many Rolleicord copies to come out of Japan. Quite well made, and the optics are also pretty good, it will take excellent shots if the shutter is ok.
    Tony

3. Peter Schrager

Peter Schrager Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    diacord

I have three of these cameras....team it up with some modern film like fuji acros and you will be amazed...old lenses and modern film are a great combo
    Best, Peter

4. mudman

mudman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll let you know what the serial number is on Sunday, right now that's the best I can do. I think the Serial number is 954364. You're going to hate me when I tell you what I'm paying for the cameras... I hope they're both in working condition. If not, who is good for repairing a Rollie?

5. Jeff L

Jeff L Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Neither Fleenor or Kirmar would CLA my '37 Rollei,they said it was too old for them to do. I ended up using Jurgen Kuschnik (.com) who has now move back to Germany. He did a great job. In the US you might try Ken Ruth at Photography on Bald Mountain. He did a great job my Super Ikonta. There's also ZeissIkonRolleiRepair.com repair that I've read good things about, but have never used.

6. JPD

JPD Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  7. mudman

mudman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    boo hiss on the Rollei, for the 127 film. I don't have any negative carriers for that size film, or easy access. B&H has the film, but at $10 a roll for Kodak or Fuji, not so thrilled. I'm paying $20 for the Rollei, Ricoh and a Kodak Duoflex. Still a good deal right?

8. tony lockerbie

tony lockerbie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well picked JPD, couldn't tell that from the photo! If it has a 60mm lens, then it's definitely a baby, which is no bad thing. 127 film is readily available these days, and you can make a mask to fit your 120 carrier to print them.
    If you are only paying $20.00 for that lot, then you are basically stealing it from him! Can't go wrong.
    Tony

9. mudman

mudman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Out of curiousity how much do the cameras usually go for? I might trade them towards a Leica M3 if they're of value.

EDIT:
    Tony, I've heard of superslides before as well... I have a 35mm slide holder for my enlarger, would that work?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2008
  10. JPD

JPD Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That type of Rolleiflex use to sell for $80-200 depending on condition. :wink:

I made a negative carrier for 4x4 from thick black passepartout cardboard. Works great.

11. JPD

JPD Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Nah, look at the size of the shutter compared to the camera front, and the levers that only the early babys have. The aperture/speed window bump above the viewing lens, and the linkage with "cog wheel teeth" on the shutter rim (and those behind for the aperture). And, of course, the camera body resembles the Rolleiflex Standard, but they have the shutter built in. :wink: