Identification

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by DieHipsterDie, Sep 22, 2006.

1. DieHipsterDie

DieHipsterDie Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Is there any type of identification that makes one look more "legitimate" and less like some dork just wandering around taking photos of everything? A press pass certainly does this, but what do those of us not connected to the press do? Does more gear make you look more serious, or is it more about how you carry and conduct yourself?

Oh yeah - not calling anyone a dork but me.

2. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just do it anyway. I'll worry about appearances when someone asks.

3. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    In what context to you want to look "legitimate"?

If you're doing ordinary "street" or "tourist" shooting - why would you need some kind of "official" ID?

If you are following "first responders" to disaster scenes or "covering" forest fires and the like such that you're likely to get "underfoot" unless you have some credibility - then, yes, it would be helpful to show you are something more that a "gawker" out for a thrill.

Short answer is: Depends on the time, place and circumstance.

4. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Don't you watch films? All you need is a piece of card with the word 'PRESS' pushed into the ribbon on your hat! (Speed graphic optional).

Steve.

5. juan

juan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Photographer's vest and blue jeans. Look sloppy and you'll look just like a real, working photojournalist. I know.
    juan

6. Gay Larson

Gay Larson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sometimes you are better off looking like a dork. When you look like a pro, they stop you, question you and in some places want money from you to photograph at the location. Here in Tulsa, we have some beautiful parks and garden centers and if they think you are a pro, you pay big bucks!

7. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I just stick the 70-200 2.8 on the camera and away i go

8. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Put on about 20 pounds, stop shaving and get a photogs vest. Oh and slop some food on shirt.

9. nc5p

nc5p Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Just be honest and don't lie. Carrying a homemade ID card could get you arrested. Here in NM the State Police issue official press credentials, though I've noticed some here just using their own company issued ones. I had one a long time ago. It probably varies from place to place as to who issues them and how you qualify. Yesterday I got full run of a protest after talking to the officer in charge. He actually came to me before, asking who I was with.

Doug

10. blansky

blansky Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I find that walking around with an open trench coat, with nothing on underneath, seems to draw people's eyes away from the camera.

I'm not saying it works for everyone, but it sure has helped me meet and photograph some interesting people.

Michael

11. jstraw

jstraw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You use that telephoto lens or are you just over-compensating? :wink:

12. Flotsam

Flotsam Member

I think that Sean should offer an OFFICIAL A.P.U.G. ALL ACCESS PHOTOGRAPHY PASS along with the APUG T-shirts and coffee mugs. Nicely laminated on a beaded chain and, of course, impressively bearing the official APUG holographic seal so that it can't be counterfeited. It would certainly offer as much legitimacy as all of those other phoney official credentials that you can buy online.

Oops, Maybe this suggestion doesn't belong in the "ethics" forum :smile:

13. blansky

blansky Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Or an official APUG trench coat.

Michael

14. glbeas

glbeas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    An essential for flasher photography :rolleyes:

15. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I like avalable light. yes you have to flash longer but the effect is some stunning

16. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Do you zoom or use a fixed focal length?

17. Nicole

Nicole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

:D

18. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Someone beat us to it! There was a Washington DC based Newsweek (I think) photographer who sold laminated "press passes" that declared the bearer could access anything anywhere anytime as a joke back in the 90's. I think he got tired of all the little passes for each and every gov't building he had to get! I still have mine around here somewhere!! :tongue:

19. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am a bit confused.....

Your looking for a way to pass yourself off as something your not....in otherwords your trying to become official as a photographer, when your not officially photographing for anyone other than yourself?

I have shot with "Official" press ID and I have photographed for myself, I just bring my cameras and start shooting and really don't give a shit what anyone says, as long as your not doing something to break the law, then why worry about it...for fun, I think many of us ahve put the stupid little hat flag in our hat band, but I have never seen anyone really do it seriously..if you want an "Official" ID, sign up for NYIP(New Your Institute of Photography) and they will send you an "Official" NYIP press pass and claim it will get you into all kinds of things!!!! LOL (NOT!!)

Dave

20. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There are so many things to photograph, I've never had the need to go anywhere someone doesn't want me to go.

One thing about the church project I'm currently doing. It's rare* that one is told they can't go in a church. :wink:

* although it has happened :surprised:

21. bjorke

bjorke Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    [​IMG]
    Easy as pie to make one. I've occasionally seen printing companies with samples in their windows. Just print anything, stck on a wee badly-made headshot, glom-on some bits that seem reminiscent of some indifferent bureaucracy, laminate. Done.

Reading this PhotoPermit entry might help you understand the illusory authority on which this plastic depends.