Identifying Omega 4x5 enlarger

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by JohnMeadows, Aug 2, 2011.

1. JohnMeadows

JohnMeadows Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sorry if this question seems stupid ...

A few months ago I bought a bunch of darkroom gear for putting together a darkroom and I am finally getting to it.

One of the pieces was an Omega 4x5 variable condenser enlarger:

Here's a picture

My questions are:

Which model is this? The reason I am asking is that it appears I have to buy some kind of lens board or mounting plate to mount lenses in what I guess are the cones, and I am not sure what I need to buy online.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

2. eddie

eddie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks like a DIIv. There should be a movable condenser behind the nameplate opening (lift at the red buttons). You move this condenser to change formats. I had one decades ago. My memory is a bit lax, after all that time, but I seem to recall you didn't need different cones. The variable condenser allowed you to work with a flat lensboard. Make sure you get confirmation from others, though. Like I said, it was a long, long time ago... Great enlarger, by the way. Yours looks to be in superb condition.

3. JohnMeadows

JohnMeadows Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks Eddy! Your description regarding the condenser seems to match what is there.

4. eddie

eddie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There should also be 2 condensers in the aluminum cylinder underneath. If I recall, there's a piece of corrugated metal which should keep them from touching.
    Still, wait for lensboard confirmation from present users of the DIIv. Even before I changed enlargers, I used a cold light head, so no condensers at all...

5. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    confirming that eddie's memory has served him well. It appears to be an Omega D2v. The placard on the left side of the light house should also say that.

It looks in pretty good condition. Carefully inspect the electrical wiring before plugging it in. Some of these have a fairly nasty socket situation.

You will need:
    1) negative carriers - one for each format size.
    2) an enlarger lens, lens cone and lens mounting disk or plate.

The size of cone depends on lens focal length. Longer focal length needs longer cone. I have specs at home but suffice to say, you will need to know what lens (determined by film format) you want to use before buying cones and mounting plates.

So what size negs are you going to print from?

6. JohnMeadows

JohnMeadows Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You seemed to have described it to a T :smile:

7. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  8. JohnMeadows

JohnMeadows Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks Matt -- that site really helps!! :smile:

9. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That is an Omega DII-VC. I have two of these.

Omega made DII and D2 and used those names somewhat interchangeably and confusingly. DII has the push-pull head and D2 has a geared crank that will raise and lower the head. Before you attempt to move it, make sure the head is on lowest position and locked down. Little knob at the lowest right corner is the locking knob. You might also want to use some rope and secure it in this position. That little knob was never meant to be THAT secure....

Make sure, the condenser (the silver cylinder) has two BIG lens that fills the circumference of the cylinder. Also make sure there is a lens on a plate inside the door that reads "Variable Condenser". Remove it for transportation. (lift and slide out)

You will need a lens plate (for 50mm to 105mm-ish) or cones for 135mm and longer lens. You also need a negative carrier. You can get those here on APUG classified inexpensively when you hit it just right.

It's a wonderful enlarger. I really like mine.

10. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    About the cone... or a plate:

This is actually a multi-part assembly. (oh why...?) There is a plate or a cone. Then there is a disk that mounts in a big hole. Onto this disk, lens mounts with use of a retaining ring.

11. JohnMeadows

JohnMeadows Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks! All the parts you mentioned are present, and I got a gazillion neg holders; it seems all I need are lens disks and or retaining rings for leica mount lenses. I only have a couple of 50mm lenses so I will be getting an 80 for my 645 negs, and something bigger for my 6x7 cm and 4x5 inch negs.

Cheers,

John

12. JohnMeadows

JohnMeadows Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks! It looks like it is just the retaining ring I need; I just ordered one from a local supplier on the Dark Lord's auction site :smile:

Thanks for your response!!

13. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Happy printing!

14. JohnMeadows

JohnMeadows Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sorry, missed your message:

I will be printing from 35mm (full and half frame), 645, 6x6, 6x7, and 4x5. I have a flat plat (for the 35mm?) and some cones that came with with the enlarger.

I will be using a 50mm lens for the 35, a 75 or an 80 for the 645, and I guess something like a 135-150 fort everything larger.

Thanks for your response!!

15. JohnMeadows

JohnMeadows Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks again everyone - the APUG community comes through again! :smile: Glad I renewed last week!

16. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The picture you posted shows the enlarger with the flat lens mount (421-100) attached. That mount will accommodate lenses from 50mm up to 105mm with the appropriate lens disc. I have a 39mm threaded lens disc which makes lens changes very easy (eliminates the need for multiple discs and retaining rings). You will need the 2 3/4" cone (421-101) for a 135mm lens and the 4 1/2" cone (421-102) if you use a 150mm lens.

17. JohnMeadows

JohnMeadows Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks Rick -- they aren't in the picture but I do have the other cones, and what appears to be a lens disk. I've bought a retaining ring, just waiting for it to arrive :smile: