If Richard Avedon would have used Kodacolor

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by dehk, Dec 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dehk

dehk Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I got home from work the other day, the movie Miracle on 34th Street was on TV. However, instead of the bw version, it was in color. I got curious and decided to experiment in coloring black and white photographs. Yesterday at work, I came up with a silly question in my head. "What if, Richard Avedon used Kodacolor instead of black and white negatives back in the days?" Just for fun, Here's my silly answer for my silly questions

http://dehk.wordpress.com/2011/12/19/what-if-richard-avedon-used-kodacolor/

Cheers

2. tomalophicon

tomalophicon Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Excellent work. They look great.

If it means anything, Avedon used lots of colour.

3. dehk

dehk Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Very true, but you know what I meant. Thanks for the compliment, It was fun.

4. Molli

Molli Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Those are exceptionally well done! The second one is my favourite, with the black clothing for contrast, it really pops!
    Thanks for sharing these, you've inspired me to go and have a play with some of my own photos :smile:

5. dehk

dehk Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Let me know how it works out for you, I am curious to see. Make sure you pm me the links after you uploaded, cheers.

6. Molli

Molli Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh geez, now there's some pressure for me :smile:
    It's about seven hours passed my bedtime just now, so I'll get onto it after I've had a sleep. Don't be expecting anything much, though!
    Thanks again for showing us what you've done. Inspiration is always appreciated.

7. Alan Klein

Alan Klein Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice conversion. Thanks for your effort.

8. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Outstanding work! Now I wonder if the Avedon police are going to come after you.

9. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    dehk - I am going to take the dissent here. I do concede that what you have done is skillfully done, using a digital means no less (no more?), I am actually not familiure with some of the photographs that for all intents were appropriated. The harm to me is my perception of the original and remake is affected whereas I would have preferred to have stumbled upon the original then progressed to the remix (if it all). Well we all know that we all come with our own backgrounds and therefore one would never know if I or any other folk for that mater are familiure with the original, so it is kind of paradoxical - damned if you do, damned if you don't

My wife and I debate this a lot, we have young ones and there are tons of kids books out there that remake the orig, for eg, The Three Little Rigs, about three trucks that make buildings out of wood, brick and steel and a wreaking ball tries to beak them all down. Well I get bothered by the adaption because what if my kids didnt know the orig to get the adaption? Their perception of the story would originate with the rigs and not the pigs. See what I mean? Thankfully in this situation the kids knew the orig fairy tale but here are countless books appropriating the orig and it bothers me that they will get an adaption instead of the orig and then what?

I think your work, while technically good, is a disservice in a sense as it is a appropriation, and legally, probably not fair use. I respectfully disagree with your remix and sure hope you have no intent of profit from such approach as a bees best could be swarming from legal folks. Best, Andy

10. dehk

dehk Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for your comment. No my intent wasn't about profit or I'd try to find the highest resolution possible, but no that wasn't the case at all. Don't worry I just got up and got an email from the foundation requesting the images be removed. As they wish, I deleted the whole post promptly. But all in all, it was just curiosity.

11. dehk

dehk Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh so it was you, :smile: kidding, its all good.

But yes they did, very efficient.

12. billbretz

billbretz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm a huge advocate of copyright. Your post, however, was clearly an examination of an idea and would easily pass the fair use test.

Copyright law is not designed to stifle the sort of investigation you produced.

Fair use is the most abused excuse for copyright violation. But it has its place, an important one. From wiki on fair use: "Examples of fair use include commentary, criticism, news reporting, research, teaching, library archiving and scholarship."

13. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    ^Where does "examination of an idea" show up in the definition above? The original was changed, bottom line. It wasn't research it was an appropriation, unapproved too.

Obviously the copyright holder didn't agree with the appropriation either.

14. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have to agree with Andy, not sure what dehk did falls under fair use. After all, Avedon shot lots of color over the years, it's not like we don't know what those color pictures look like, and frankly, it seems a bit off topic here to discuss one's digital skills with coloring pix that we don't own in photoshop. Now, if he had purchased those prints and hand colored them, that would be a far more appropriate exercise for our purposes here. :tongue:

15. dehk

dehk Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Seriously? Now it turned into me showing off my digital skill? Wow.

- Original purpose was to show what if certain photos by Richard MIGHT have look like if they were in color. Out of curiosity.

- No and I am not saying you or anyone do not know what color photos looks like. Are you?

16. dehk

dehk Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Somebody just need to close this thread.

17. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Done

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.