If the sheet film companies sold empty boxes?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by wildbill, Mar 25, 2007.

1. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't have enought 8x10 film boxes for exposed sheets. They're harder to come by than 4x5's. If ilford, kodak, foma, efke, sold empty 3 piece film boxes. Would you buy some?

vinny

2. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I would, also in other ULF sizes....boxes are very costly if sold "clean" If they just made some for storage etc it would be cheaper.

3. Sparky

Sparky Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    empty paper boxes won't work for you?

4. Sparky

Sparky Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think they have 'new' empty paper boxes for sale at freestyle.

5. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    3 piece boxes

Nope. Those are two piece boxes. I wouldn't put unprocessed film in them.

6. Sparky

Sparky Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    double-bag?

7. CGross

CGross Guest

I definately would because I am just getting started in 4x5. I am getting ready to start making phone calls to labs to see if they have any laying around.
    I also bought the mailers and extra bags to double bag the negs from Freestyle, but have not used them. I'm concerned with them because they seem to be statically charged. When they arrived in the mail, they had white pieces of paper or something all over them. Has anyone else seen this?
    So I am concerned about dust. I bought them in preparation to send some E6 film off for development.

I need to get some of the paper I saw mentioned on another thread to keep the negs separated. Can't remember the name of it right now.

I'm sure once I start burning alot of film I'll be set. Guess I need to burn up some film!!

8. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would have loved to have had some when I started shooting 4x5 last summer but it didn't take me long to empty a couple of boxes and now I have plenty so it's not a big deal :smile:

Get some film, and shoot it. That's the best way to clear up some boxes. :smile:

9. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I started this thread to see if there would be enough interest in getting the film companies to sell empty boxes since the larger the format the fewer sheets we shoot. I know that there are other methods of storing undeveloped film but i'm only interested in sheet film boxes for the films we shoot. Enough interest may convince those companies to sell us empty 3 piece boxes.

vinny

10. Sanjay Sen

Sanjay Sen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I definitely would buy some in 4x5, 5x7 & 8x10.

11. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
  12. Sanjay Sen

Sanjay Sen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  13. Struan Gray

Struan Gray Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mike Walker (www.walkercameras.com) used to sell ABS versions of film boxes. I *think* there was an 8x10 version. The 4x5 boxes I have are smaller than a cardboard film box, about the same weight, and hold at least thirty sheets (although Mike recommended twenty).

They're not on his website since it was revamped a while back, but it might be worth contacting him to see if he does a run from time to time.

14. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I am also unsure -- they mention that they are thicker than the boxes supplied by film manufactorers, and they went to the trouble of making them black inside, so I am not really sure.

vaughn

15. Logan Group

Logan Group Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Have you seen this...

I have never purchased these but was considering it. I have delt with this company before with good results. The name of the Company is Bromwell Marketing and their website is http://www.bromwellmarketing.com/. Go to their accessory link and they advertise light tight film storage boxes. I'll ask Ted (the owner) about them next time I talk to him.

-Logan Group

16. Keith Pitman

Keith Pitman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    J&C lists empty film boxes. When they reopen . . .

17. walter23

walter23 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I toured a few photo labs in my city looking for empty 4x5 boxes when I first got started. It really is a hassle when you're on your first box or two of film. I was putting exposed velvia sheets in my unexposed delta box, and vice versa (easy to sort out with the notches). Extra film holders helped a lot, because you can basically empty a box with one load if you've got a 10 box of film and at least 5 holders. This isn't so practical with ULF film obviously.

Now I've got a handful of empty boxes around and it's no problem. You just have to shoot and make do with weird solutions until you've gone through a box or two, or just shoot and process immediately out of the holders.

I don't think it would make much sense for companies to sell empty boxes for the 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10 sizes, but for ULF maybe.

18. MenacingTourist

MenacingTourist Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    In my line of work I have had custom boxes made for special marketing promotions and mailers. Any box company (I worked with 2 in Salt Lake City) will make a triple lid construction and offer you several paper choices. All you gotta do is pay for a thousand or so :smile:

It's probably not a bad idea but too speculative for me to take on at the moment.