If you have a Mamiya C33 which has problems winding or seems to lock up:

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Dshambli, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Dshambli

Dshambli Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It's probably not broken. I'm posting this because it took me forever to find out what was going on with my C33 and I hope it can help someone out there. First let me start with this, the manual:

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/mamiya/mamiya_c33/mamiya_c33.htm

Searching for a solution to what appeared to be a common problem put me up against a wall of "You need to get it fixed." But it was just too common of a problem for it to be broken, especially since I hadn't heard anyone say, "I got it serviced, no more problems!"

So what did I do? I wound it backwards about a half a turn (until the crank handle knob fit in the hole). It's difficult to do on mine, which made it hard to discover, considering I don't want to put excessive strain on any part of my cameras. And it doesn't have to be done everytime, only when the knob doesn't match up to the hole. But that's how you do it.

This may also work for some C330's with the same problem, but I haven't been able to try it out.

2. doughowk

doughowk Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've only had my C330 for a few months (from KEH); and have not noticed such a problem. It seems consistent in crank stopping near hole. It does seem more vulnerable, though, to failure compared to my C22 (had an issue with focusing guide which KEH fixed).

3. grahamp

grahamp Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The C330 crank is not intended to be reversed - it should do a full turn every time. The C33 crank is intended to reverse part way.

This can be confusing if one is used to something like a YashicaMat. On that camera the forward wind does the film advance, and the reverse wind sets the shutter.

Graham

4. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Your Mamiya C33 is at least forty three years old and has probably never had any maintenance in that time, I suggest if you need a reliable camera you have it cleaned, lubricated, and adjusted, I had mine done last year and it works like a Swiss watch now.