if you post pics here please read and comment

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by rkmiec, Nov 7, 2007.

1. rkmiec

rkmiec Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    alot of pics get posted here and i will comment on the ones i really like.occasionally i see one that i find i need to own and hang here at the house.my question is what are the ethics of asking to buy a print seen posted here.i dont have tons of money to throw around and cant buy at gallery prices.i have not asked anyone as of yet because i feel that it is possible they would be insulted.personally i would not.another idea i had although i dont know if it would be possible would be trading pics,say i had one you liked and the opposite,may or may not work but i will put the idea out there.i really would like to know how you would feel if someone asked you about purchasing a print.by the way i am not a right click and save as kinda guy.any comments would be greatly appreciated.

2. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council

Shooter:
    Large Format
    It's not a big deal to PM someone and ask if they would sell/trade you a print.
    The worst that can happen is they say no.

3. Shawn Dougherty

Shawn Dougherty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why would someone be insulted if you asked them about buying a print? Just ask how much they charge, if it's cool with you buy one. If not, don't. I think you might be worrying about nothing. All the best. Shawn

4. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm always interested in the possibility of trading prints, and have done so with several people here. There is no problem aproaching somebody with a trade or offer. All they can do is say no.

Sweet URL for your website:smile:

5. rkmiec

rkmiec Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    thanks jb,i got lucky i guess.i need to get off my butt and get my site going.i have been lacking in the creativity department for a little while now but apug is really helping me through this dark time.

6. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am fascinated now with the idea of trading a print with an individual photographer. In God-knows-how-many years, I have only sold one print, so this is not my main aim and goal. I wouldn't be offended if approached. Not in the least.

7. kman627

kman627 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think I'd find nothing more satisfying to know that another photographer would wish to put my work on their wall. I think most would feel it as an honor.

8. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I'd be honoured if someone wanted to buy a print from me.

9. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd be honored as well. In fact, the one print I sold that wasn't to a coworker was to someone from APUG. They saw a 4x6 of one of mine and asked for an 11x14 when I did one. Still my proudest moment.

10. Jean Noire

Jean Noire Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If any of my work grabs anyone then I would welcome the offer of a trade. This could be a reason to post as many good images as possible.
    Regards,
    John.

11. Stan160

Stan160 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Never sold a print in my life. Would be flattered if anyone asked, but would be more interested in exchanging with anyone who was interested in one of my pictures.

Ian

12. BWKate

BWKate Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    rkmiec: That's the great thing about APUG and the PM function. Just talk to someone about a possible print exchange. One person I asked if they participated in print exchanges said no that he sold his work but he was not offended. Go to the member organized functions and see that there are a couple of great print exchanges. I have exchanged prints with people from all over the globe and it's fun! If you just want to buy a print but don't have a lot of money just ask if they have a more inexpensive print that they are willing to sell or tell them what your limit is. The best is the print exchanges.