If you've ever shot in Zion Park please read this

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Rob Skeoch, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Rob Skeoch

Rob Skeoch Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    If you've ever shot in Zion park please read this.

So this is my sad story....
    Last fall I attended the LF gathering that Per put together in Zion. On the final day I noticed a couple classmates just packing up from an area I hadn't shot in, so I stopped the car and looked around.

After looking around for a while I "discovered" this unique shot and went back to the car for the 8x10 and my last sheet of film to make this photo.

Now fast forward to the LF conference held this spring in Springdale. I purchased Steve Simmons book "Using the View Camera" and there on page 139 was a photo by Gordon Hutchings titled "Tree and Cliff" ( I kinda like the name) from basically the same angle... although his was shot with a 600mm and I only used a 450mm. My unique shot was just a standard Zion photo that everyone has.

So this is my question for you.... have you taken this shot at Zion before.... how does yours look. How many people have this unique shot in their collection, portfolio or on the wall.

I just think it's fun to know.

-Rob Skeoch

Attached Files:

• zion.jpg
      zion.jpg
      File size:
      130.1 KB
      Views:
  2. Paul Sorensen

Paul Sorensen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't and I think it is a wonderful shot. Unfortunately, with a place like Zion, it is nearly impossible (or at least very hard) to come up with something that no one else has, even if you came upon it without their inspiration. I think that's why I try to go places where no one else goes. It makes it all easier for me. :smile:

3. photomc

photomc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Never been there, but IMO you have a beautifull print that anyone would be proud of...maybe others have made the same image...but heck, that one is Yours.

4. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not me.

It doesn't lesson your eye just because someone else also saw it, but you didn't know.

However, let me go on record as saying that even if I found St. Ansel's tripod holes at Yosemite, I'd still take the picture! :tongue:

Yours is great, BTW.

David

5. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not Zion, but a few months ago I was at Corfe Castle here in the UK and decided that a good view might be a couple of miles to the south east, up a steep hill that might give an overview of the castle in its surroundings. Drove up there and lo and behold, an excellent view, better than I could have hoped for. A view showing the castle on its hill, commanding a natural gap in the ridge of the Purbeck Hills, a slither of Poole Harbour in the distance. Great

Got home a few days later, developed and printed, feeling quite chuffed with my insight that the hill would make a good vantage point. Decided I'd like to see exactly where I was on a map, so got out the maps and traced where I had been. Turns out, exactly where I set up my camera, the area has a name:

"Castle View"

Ho hum...

Cheers, Bob.

6. blaze-on

blaze-on Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's still a nice shot Rob...even though you pushed me over, stepped on my camera, and stole my dark cloth to get it. :smile:

i was there and I don't have this shot...whatever that means...

7. MenacingTourist

MenacingTourist Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I was there and even used your camera for a few or six shots. This was not one of my six. I must have been running interference and throwing rocks at Matt so you could get this one:smile: Well done.

8. Shmoo

Shmoo Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I thought I saw someone rolling downhill screaming...was that you, Matt? Or were you the one who was telling us to move a 1/4 mile further down the road????

:smile:

Rob - don't let your enthusiasm for what you shot be dampened. It's a beautiful shot and it's the first time I've ever seen it.

S

9. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have taken the same shot, but with a different focal length, and time of day. Each one is still unique. Mine is not so hot, your's is great. BTW, in a few weeks I move near there. I will be able to spend every day if I want running around in the park. I have to get out there and hike some of the old trails that are now almost forgotten. Come on up and stay any time you want to Rob.

10. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    ok thanks will do

11. blaze-on

blaze-on Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So Alan, It WAS a Conspiracy...I knew it!!

Now if I could learn to roll uphill, with gear, I would love LF even more.

12. galyons

galyons Member

Well if you had spent less time "ragging on my tired behind" to hurry up, you might not have missed it.

BTW, Well done Rob!!

Cheers,
    Geary

13. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I would as well. As much as I like Ansel, I think that the foreground appears more prominently in my work than his - so I am sure I would have a different image, as I would shooting the Zion image referred to above.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. ReallyBigCameras

ReallyBigCameras Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Rob,

I'll be darned! I have a similar shot of the same subject - only mine is in color. I shot it on a trip to Zion in early Nov. 1996.

Kerry

16. patrickjames

patrickjames Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Does anyone know where this is? Just curious if anyone else has ever seen this thing or if it is even still there. I am actually trying to remember myself.

Patrick

Attached Files:

17. photobum

photobum Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    A few years back I was at a 3 day seminar in Cape Cod. There was a slide contest with the subject, "Red". Well I "found" a red fishing boat the next morning and shot the heck out of it. By 10 am at least 30 other photographers had "found" the same red boat. What I found amazing was that out of hundreds of red boat shots, none were the same.

Oh, the top prize went to a bunch of red marbles.

18. mark

mark Member

I think the secret to Zion and unique pictures is to take the big images apart. Get closer, and shoot parts. By the way i did not take that image last fall, when I was there. I did see it though, but it did not strike my fancy. Now I think I missed something. Good Shootin.

19. MurrayMinchin

MurrayMinchin Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Please...the climber in me needs to know...

How solid is that rock? Do grains come off when you rub it with your hands or toes? If you pull on juggy handholds and small flakes do they pop off? I need to know because that photograph makes the climber in me DROOL!

I agree - good image.

Murray

20. Shmoo

Shmoo Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    It would be easier to hire your own sherpa (MenacingTourist) like Rob did.

lol

21. Loose Gravel

Loose Gravel Member

I've shot at Zion, but never taken this shot. It's very nice. Could I borrow the negative?

22. mark

mark Member

Slick rock climbing, lots of exposure and holds come off in some areas very easily. On the other hand there are lots of places to take a verticle walk, but I would not go unsecured.

23. Jeff Dyck

Jeff Dyck Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I recounted this story in another thread a few months back - while not in Zion, it seems somewhat approriate here:

I was out on some old mining roads near the border of Northern BC and Alaska with my LF gear in the truck (as always). It was my second day out (having camped in the back of the truck the night before) and I hadn't seen a single other person or vehicle for almost 2 days. I spied a potential shot from the truck that interested me, so I parked, put my pack on, slung my tripod over my shoulder and proceeded to bushwack up the side of a hill to get above the trees and get a better viewpoint. Imagine my surprise when I crested the hill and saw an old TLR set-up on a tripod! The photographer showed up about 10 minutes later (he was scouting another shot) and we had a good chat. He was out camping in the area with friends and had taken off hiking by himself for the day and spied the same shot. My shot! He was the only other person I saw that whole weekend. I took the shot anyway... some things just cry out to be photgraphed.

24. Rob Skeoch

Rob Skeoch Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    While I was setting up this shot I didn't notice any tripod holes.... but I was concentrating on keeping clear of the big yellow sign that said Kodak Photo Spot.
    -Rob

25. Kirk Keyes

Kirk Keyes Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Patrick - the tree on the rock is on the side of the highway between the East Park Entrance and the Tunnel - In the area of Checkerboard Mesa.

Kirk

26. abelsykes

abelsykes Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Matt, I was there and I have the same shot, although mine is not quite as well crafted as yours appears. Although it has been shot many times before this is the first time I have shot it. For me it was a great experience.

Abel