ILEX PARAGON f4.5 12" Lens question

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Tom1956, May 6, 2013.

1. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Will an ILEX PARAGON f4.5 12" Lens cover 8x10? If so, any movements? Further comments welcome. Thank you.

2. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Should. Longer explanation: it is an f/4.5 tessar type. f/4.5 tessar types typically cover 110% of their focal lengths.

Movements? By the same reasoning, a little. If you have it, try it out.

3. Russ Young

Russ Young Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have always shot mine on 5x7 so I cannot comment on coverage but it is a very under-rated lens IMHO. Sharp but not biting, good contrast but not stark, good bokeh. Hope you enjoy using it.

4. rjs003

rjs003 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have used mine on my 8x10, movement yes, but you won't be able to twist the bellows into a pretzel.

5. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks for the answers on this. I suppose my next question would be:how do you deal with a top shutter speed of 1/50 when film is becoming increasingly rare in anything but 400?

6. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Turn the lights down. ND filters.

7. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I may be going about this the wrong way, which has taken me the EBAY route trying to dig up the cheapest way to get a lens and shutter in front of an 8x10 camera. Problem is, there's not much out there for a cheapskate. My intent is to put together a junk 8x10 camera on a tripid and have a usable lens and shutter in front of it, for the purpose of using up some old printing paper as negative material. I refuse to pile money I don't have to spend on this whim. A whim to go out in the country from time to time and get away from these worries. But boo-hoo for me. Between the mortgage, health insurance.... nevermind. My photography desires stick in my mind in these toils. It might even be fund getting out tin the country daylight and make some chicken salad out a of chicken $#!+ 8X10 assembly. But I refuse to do pinhole. I'll live with paper negatives, but I refuse to deal with that AND pinhole.