Ilfochrome developer longevity and substitute

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Tom Kershaw, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Preamble is that I have three sealed Ilfochrome P30.2 kits plus one kit part used, see photo:

[​IMG]

These kits (to make 2 litres each of dev, bleach, and fix) and my small stock of Ilfochrome paper is not getting any younger and I really ought to now make best use of them. The developer from the open kit looks completely oxidised but I understand a substitute developer can be made by adding a small amount of Sodium thiosulphate per litre of a dilute conventional Hydroquinone based B&W developer?

I will be interested to observe the colour of the developer in the sealed bottles; not completely sure how to assess the risk / reward ratio of using the opened kit versus limited paper supplies although I suspect I may have more paper than chemistry, and I'll need to adopt a try-it-and-see approach...

Processing the paper in a Jobo, so also need to check timings.

Tom

2. Wayne

Wayne Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I think I used about 1/4 teaspoon of hypo per liter of working developer solution, but I'd have to check my notebook at home. The exact amount is not critical, to my understanding. I think some people have gotten by without adding it, but I've never felt the need to try it. I always mixed my own developer but you can just add the hypo to a premixed developer. Ilfochrome is so sensitive I wouldn't bother trying the open solution unless it was opened last month.

3. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I guess the bleach and fix from the opened kit in the photo may still be ok.

Tom

4. Wayne

Wayne Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The fix is just rapid fix; if it still fixes a scrap of film quickly it's good. I'm not sure how long the bleach lasts once its open. I seem to remember 6-8 weeks was the recommendation lifespan but could be off by a couple weeks. But if you mix fresh developer you'll (probably) know after one print if the bleach is bad. I've never experienced bad bleach, only bad paper.