ilford 300 art - what's it like?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by rphenning, Oct 13, 2011.

1. rphenning

rphenning Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Has anyone tried this paper? I like dektol and ilford pearl but want something a with a tiny bit warmer base and less plastic-y feel to the finish. Curious what the general consensus is. Also, will it fog with amber safe lights turned on?

2. VaryaV

VaryaV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just bought a pack to replace Foma Chamois as an alternative and I am dying to try it. Thomas Bertilsson was the one that recommended it to me and I know he had a lot of great things to say about it. I'm sure he will stop by and comment.

ps. I think red is the recommended safelight.

3. K-G

K-G Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ilford Pearl is RC paper, and as such, will have a plasticky feel, just like all RC papers. Ilford 300 art is a fiber paper, and like all fiber papers, will not have that issue.

If you want something similar in texture to Pearl, but in fiber, I would not go with this paper -- it's definitely textured! There have been some examples in the gallery recently. It is a great paper, with a nice white base, and dries extremely flat. But if you want to try fiber that has a similar finish to RC Pearl, I think most other glossy fiber papers would be a better choice (Pearl is meant to replicate the fiber glossy look). I personally like the Foma MG 131 and 132 papers for regular printing.

5. Роберт

Роберт Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, Fomatone MG 131 and 132 are great papers!

Greetz,

Роберт