Ilford 500 multigrade system with mystery mounting bracket

Discussion in '[Classifieds] For Sale' started by peterlat, Jan 22, 2011.

1. peterlat

peterlat Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I'm selling an Ilford 500 Multigrade system I bought several years ago from a lab that closed. The system includes the 500H head; the power supply; control panel (but no foot switch), the 4X5, 6X7 and 35mm mixing chambers (which show some scuffing on the acrylic surfaces); the correct adapter plates for the two smaller chambers, a well-worn exposure probe, and the manual. It's seen a lot of use but seems to be in fine operating condition. I've tested the components, and they all work, but I've never been able to mount it to my Omega D5. I thought the side mounting brackets were for an Omega, but they're not (they won't fit a D2 either). Each side of the head has two small horizontal studs, on which the enlarger 'lifters' can be attached (see detail photo) and tightened. I've measured, and the distance between the left and right brackets is a bit over 13.5 inches.

I'd like $225 for the system after shipping, which could be pricey--all the components weigh close to 35 pounds (unboxed), and they'd probably need to go in two boxes. My best guess for ground shipping would be about $60. I'm in Minneapolis, and I'd be willing to drive an hour for a buyer in this region. And if anyone knows more about which enlarger this fits, I'd love to hear from you. It sure looks Omega to me, but I'm stumped.

Attached Files:

2. Paul Sorensen

Paul Sorensen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, I have used one of these on a Beseler 45 chassis, but I don't know that they were all made for that. This was at IFP Minnesota, on University near 280 in St Paul, if you are curious I am sure they would show you their rig.

3. Marco B

Marco B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It is not for the Durst Laborator 1200 either. I have one, and all of the fitting takes place on the back of the unit / enlarger head It also doesn't seem to fit the De Vere 504, considering the clear photo I see on my official Ilford 500H manual, which also shows no bracketing on the sides.

4. Paul VanAudenhove

Paul VanAudenhove Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have a D2 lamphouse, and the studs are about 9.5 inches. Could this have come from a large format enlarger? ie. 8x10?

The studs on the side seem to indicate that the enlarger it is meant for lifts the lamphouse to insert the negative. That may also explain the scuffing on the bottom of the mixing chambers. The enlarger may be along the same style as a D2, using the bottom condensor or diffusor in direct contact with the negative or holder.

Sorry that I can't be of more help, but maybe someone with more experience can help.

5. Marco B

Marco B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That was my thought too, as all "regular" 4x5 enlargers like my L1200 and the De Vere 504 seem to use fixing points on the back of the Ilford 500H enlargers head, instead of brackets on the side.

6. jordanstarr

jordanstarr Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I know you say it won't fit on your Omegas, but I have the 400 system and it looks like the same mounts which works on my Omega D5. Any Omega chassis with the two hook arms for lifts should work on those two notches/screws. But anyway, if you've tried it and it didn't work, the proof is in the pudding. If I wasn't so transient and was going to set up a darkroom, I'd be all over this.

7. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that when these heads were current, one would replace the Omega hook arms with a different set, sized for the larger 500 series head.

I have a 400 series head, and the two notches on it are, wait for it, 9.5 inches apart.

8. Marco B

Marco B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maybe this picture is of some use. It shows the Ilford MG 500 fitted to an Omega D6XL enlarger. Photo from the Glennview product page on Omega enlargers:

http://www.glennview.com/omega.htm

big_1.jpg

9. peterlat

peterlat Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Yes, mine certainly looks as if it has the D6 mounts! I know that even if the Omega lifter arms on my D5 did fit the head (they'd need to be about a half-inch wider), the mixing chamber wouldn't be centered over the negative stage--it would be too far to the right by several inches. In any event, since my posting I've heard from an old friend who thinks he has a line on the right adaptor, which I'm going to try to get. So with apologies to those who've contacted me with offers, I'm going to hold off on the sale for now. I'd much rather use it, but after looking for a D5 adaptor for a long time, without success, I'd assumed I'd have to let it go. Thanks for all the information.

10. L Gebhardt

L Gebhardt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    It looks just like the system I have on my Omega D5. I think the support rods and arms are the same length as the Chromega head, but you need different spacers to center the head. For my setup I went to the hardware store and bought a few nylon spacers to center the head.

11. peterlat

peterlat Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    PM sent to L Gebhardt asking for more information. If anyone else has ideas, suggestions, etc., please e-mail me at peterlatner@yahoo.com. I don't want to be rude, and turn a For Sale thread into something more technical. Thanks.

12. stefan k

stefan k Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Is your Illford 500 still for sale? thanks stefan

13. Bonnie

Bonnie Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    ilford

is it still available?

14. peterlat

peterlat Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    ilford 500 update . . .

As it turns out, the mounting system is for a D5. Thanks to some good suggestions, and especially some help from the previous poster, I cut some new spacers and was able to mount it to my D5XL. But it's still finicky--has to be re-adjusted slightly after lowering it onto the negative stage. Not a big deal for some, but it bugs me. So I'm going back to my Chromega head system, using the M&Y filters for multigrade printing.

It's on hold for a buyer. If that falls through, I'll be contacting Bonnie. And if that falls through, it'll be back on the block. Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone.

15. peterlat

peterlat Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    No longer available. Thanks.